Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just purchased my first bike. It is a 1983 Goldwing 1100cc Interstate, with fairing and hard carriers. I am learning to ride it, which is a chore in itself as it feels so big and heavy. But, It came with ONE set of ignition and accessory keys. Being a klutz, if I lose this set, I am SOL.

Where in Fort Worth can I find a place that makes or sells new ignition keys.

Cylon

·
Administrator
26,157 Posts
imported post

If you have one of the original keys it has a number on it that is the key code. You can take it to a Honda dealer and have new keys made by the code. If a key is worn and you have it copied you have a copy of a worn key and sometimes they won't work. A key made from the code is just like a new key and will work the locks. I had to show that fact to the local dealer when the parts man wanted to just copy my key, it wouldn't work. He then made one from the code and it did work. BTW Honda car dealers have the blanks and can cut the keys.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
imported post

In my small town in Pa the service star hardware had blanks and made me a set .

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

There is a number on the back side of the locks..bottom of the ignition, back of the helmet locks if you have them. With that number you can go to Honda and they can get you a new set..or there are sites on the net that supply keys.

http://www.motorcyclekeys.com/

or

http://www.hondakeys.com/index.html

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

Cylon12 wrote:
I just purchased my first bike. It is a 1983 Goldwing 1100cc Interstate, with fairing and hard carriers. I am learning to ride it, which is a chore in itself as it feels so big and heavy. But, It came with ONE set of ignition and accessory keys. Being a klutz, if I lose this set, I am SOL.

Where in Fort Worth can I find a place that makes or sells new ignition keys.

Cylon
:waving:The Honda part number for the GL1100 key blank is: 35121-KW3-771. You can get these blanks at your local Honda dealer and if not in stock they will order it for you.

Below is a Yahoo link which shows where the Honda motorcycle dealers are in Fort Worth.

http://local.yahoo.com/results?stx=honda+motorcycle+dealer&csz=Fort+Worth%2C+TX

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
imported post

My local True Value hardware store duplicates my GL1200 keys
for me. Costs a buck and a quarter per key.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

Sorry to jump in here, but the assumption that your local Honda Dealer will order keys for you is not always correct. My local dealer told me I couldn't afford them, so they wouldn't order me one. I ask to speak with the manager and was told the parts man was correct, they wouldn't order me a key.

I ended up calling the dealer 60 miles from home to have them order me a key, it was $7, so I guess I could afford it after all. Needless to say I no longer buy anything from my local dealer.

George

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

flint wrote:
Sorry to jump in here, but the assumption that your local Honda Dealer will order keys for you is not always correct. My local dealer told me I couldn't afford them, so they wouldn't order me one. I ask to speak with the manager and was told the parts man was correct, they wouldn't order me a key.

I ended up calling the dealer 60 miles from home to have them order me a key, it was $7, so I guess I could afford it after all. Needless to say I no longer buy anything from my local dealer.

George
:waving:Sounds like your local dealer didn't know what he was talking about or just didn't want to be bothered ordering one little item like a key. I can go to any dealer out here and if a part is still available from Hondathey will order it.

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
imported post

Most importantly, do not wait thinking Oh, I'll do it tomorrow. That is what I did with the 1981 I bought last March. I waited one day too long and lost the only one I had. After several days of searching the house, inside and out, with beautiful riding days passing me by, I called a lock smith that came to my house, straddled the old girl and in about 30 min, whittled me out two new keys, one of which went straight to the safe. The numbers are on the back of the helmet lock and the ignition. There was no way I was tearing into the ignition, and it would have taken an act of congress to remove the helmet lock or something other than mortal eyes to see the number with a dental mirror. So for $85.00 I was back on the road with a new lesson learned. He who hesitates is lost/will lose.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.