Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Does anybody know if they make a kickstand kill switch for the early 81 GL 1100? Anyone got a pic of one or link to one that could be set up, aftermarket maybe?

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

I'd bet Radio Shack would sell you an inline pressure switch & wire for $10. Just hook it up in series to any important wire using the same guage wire.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

Luv2ride,

I remember reading this same issue in a previous post, and one of the others (I apologize for not remembering who), pointed out that with the kill switch you lose the ability to allow your bike to warm up while sitting on the kickstand. What I think would be a better idea is to put a switch to the stand that leads to a light on your dash. Set it up so that the light is on when the stand is doen and off when you put it up. That way you have a very visual sign that the stand is not up all the way, and you can still let the engine warm up without having to sit on it and balance it.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

the switch should be triggered on and off with the neutral light, when the neutral light goes off. and the sidestand is down it will kill the bike, so while the neutral light is on you can have the sidestand down and warm the bike up.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

Did not know that, I figured it to mean a straight kill switch. Thanks for the correction, now I'm giving one consideration.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Yea I figured it would be something like that just would like to see a simular switch mounted to give me an idea of how to mount mine?

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
imported post

Alot of newer bikes have the switch to the sidestand mounted to the stand it's self. (via micro switch around the pivot bolt that holds the stand to its mounting bracket) Running a switch to the sidestand and looping threw the ground wire of your neutral light should do the trick.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Lil Pete wrote:
They did not come with one ... Why would you need one?
Same reason your 1800 and my 1500 came with one.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

I figured that the newer ones come with it because of some federal mandate such as the headlights on issue back in the 70's. I would not think that it would be retroactive.

Is there another reason?

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Lil Pete wrote:
Is there another reason?
Same thing as I said in the other thread.
"As for whether we should need the switch or not, well I for one am not perfect, and since leaving the side stand down can be a big safety hazard and has wrecked many bikes, and even killed people, I think it's a great feature. I normally have no problem trying to take off with it down, but sometimes I've gotten distracted by something and forgot to put it up. Like I said, I'm human and therefore imperfect."

For those of you that can walk on water, there is no need for one. ;)

John

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

So after reading the attached threads, it seems to be a personal safety choice for those who are concerned with leaving their sidestands down. Nothing mandatory though?

Isn't the rubber pad "attached to the side stand" supposed to solve that issue?

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

Lil Pete wrote:
Mostly, but it wasn't 100%, and it wears out fairly quickly, by permanently curling up and becoming useless.

Last year I looked at two 1200's that had been wrecked because of the rider accidentally leaving the side stand down. One of them I bought, the other they wanted way too much money for in the condition it was in.

The one I bought, was wrecked by a young man, the son of the owner. He had a friend that he decided to take for a ride, with his dad's permission. He took off and on the first left, pogoed off the stand and into a guardrail. He is now in a wheelchair for the rest of his life.

The one I didn't buy, the guy died. He was stopped for road construction and had a long wait, so he put his stand down and shut off his bike. When the road opened for his direction, he took off forgetting the stand, and quickly hit the highway speed of 50 MPH shortly after leaving the construction zone, but then on the first left curve bounced off of the stand into the guardrail ending his life.

Like I said, I think the switch is a nice feature, and it saves lives.

John

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
Lil Pete wrote:
Mostly, but it wasn't 100%, and it wears out fairly quickly, by permanently curling up and becoming useless.

Interesting, my 1100 still has the original pad and is still squared up. Having been mostly parked on the center stand could have something to do with it. It hung down considerably lower than the stand itself. I'll have to look at dad's next time I'm over there. He mostly parks his on the sidestand.

I might be wishing that we swapped that part out before I sold mine.

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

Lil Pete wrote:
Interesting, my 1100 still has the original pad and is still squared up. Having been mostly parked on the center stand could have something to do with it. It hung down considerably lower than the stand itself. I'll have to look at dad's next time I'm over there. He mostly parks his on the sidestand.

I might be wishing that we swapped that part out before I sold mine.
Yeah, not sure how long it takes, but I know that most of the 1200's I look at don't even have one any more, and the one's that do, are almost all curled up to where they are useless. My '86 has a new one on it after a close call I had, and I put new one's on the two fixers I fixed up and sold.

John

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Other than just a light or buzzer activated when the kickstand on the 1200 or earlier bikes is down, has anyone come up with a circuit to wire the side stand switch into the gear selector area so that if the bike was put into ANY gear with the side down the engine would cut out?

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

I thought that we had covered everything on them. We put the two side by side looking to keep the parts in the BEST condition for his (which will be mine again). I wonder ifwe bothmissed it? We only pulled a few items for the swap all weekend.

I almost wish I had missed this thread now.:doh:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.