Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Does anyone know what the manual means when they refer to a plastic extention to the kickstand so if you forget to put it up it will automatically kick it up instead of making you feel like a dumbass when you forget to put it up(and yes that's exactly how I have felt more than once, twice....and is dangerous when you can't turnleft and you have to try to put it up on the go). I have considered taking the running boards off so I don't forget to put the kick stand up.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
imported post

Hopefully someone can respond to the "plastic extension." The side stand down is quite dangerous, something I found out about without too severe of a consequence some years ago.

Now, if my bike is on the side stand, as soon as I straighten the bike I kick it up. It's built into my "pre-flight" check list.

Chuck

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,271 Posts
imported post

Hi Anoldefriend,

It's a rubber piece bolted to the foot. It touches the road first and kicks the stand backwards. It works.

I test mine all the time...unintentionally, of course. ;)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It is indeed a piece of rubber bolted to the foot of the kickstand just behind and above the stand's foots. There's a molded in line to show when the rubber piece should be replaced.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
imported post

I thought that piece of rubber was designed to keep your bike from rolling backwards on an incline while on the sidestand:D

If it issuppose to kick your sidestand up while under way Don't count on it,

I have left mine down before and went off roading after being unable to make a left turn.

Lucky for me no trees were around when it happened.... just ask Ray and Tracy they were with me.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

HaHa I almost foregot about that:DNothing like looking in the mirror and seeing a freind decide left turn wasn't acceptable:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::action:

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

I deem the rubber piece 100.02% worthless.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

any one know where I can get one of these other than the dealer($$$$$$$$$$$$$$)

I even put a post-it note on the radio so I don't forget to put it up(guess what?!!!!)

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

Drop a PM to Tricky. He just put some type of a switch on his 1200 so he has a red flashing LED on his dash whenever the kickstand is down.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Goldwings 4 ever wrote:
Drop a PM to Tricky. He just put some type of a switch on his 1200 so he has a red flashing LED on his dash whenever the kickstand is down.
SmartLight 1200. 1100 and 1000 will be doing this along with a buzzer, an option to kill the engine like the 1500 does and several of the features it already has.

Delivery in late July.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
Goldwings 4 ever wrote:
SmartLight 1200. 1100 and 1000 will be doing this along with a buzzer, an option to kill the engine like the 1500 does and several of the features it already has.

Delivery in late July.
I'm up for one of these. I'm tired of effing-up on the 1200.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

I just purchased my 85 LTD last weekend and actually found the rubber tab to be somewhat useful. When I made a slow left turn out of my friends culdesac the rubber caught the pavement and put the stand up far enough for me to complete the turn.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
imported post

I would definitely want one of these, please let me know when they are available

GOD Bless,
jerry

Rudy wrote:
Goldwings 4 ever wrote:

Delivery in late July.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

is that what that plastic thinigy is for?????? funny i thought it was just so it wouldnt let the kick stand rub a hole in the side of your shoe while you put the kick stand up????? lmao

·
Ornery Old Cuss
308 Posts
imported post

Laugh I've always known what that thing was for. So far I've never seen it work. Maybe I should remove my side stand and grease everything up:)

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,880 Posts
imported post

I also can attest to the fact that the rubber foot works. I use mine all the time.:waving:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.