Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I do not have an owners manual, just a Haynes. Where does the manual kick starter plug in? I located it under the right false gas tank cover but can't locate a spot to use it. The bike has been sitting a long time and I want to slowly turn it over.

Thanks Jack

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

The kick-starter was only on the 1975-77 model GL1000. The 78-79 ones don't have it at all. You plug the handle into the rear of the engine from the left side and you kick downwards. It's awkward to plug in and there should be a small cover on the hole as well.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Jason wrote:
The kick-starter was only on the 1975-77 model GL1000. The 78-79 ones don't have it at all. It's awkward.
Hey Jason, I Think Honda has issued a service bulletin on this. I wonder is this a recall. ? ? ? :cheeky1: :cheeky1: :cheeky1:

:grinner: :18red: :grinner:

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Right behind the alternator... left side of the bike. Should be a rubber plug over the socket.

It's very hard to kick start if you don't bypass the ballast resistor, because with the ballast resistor in line the coils only get around 7-1/2 volts. With the battery low(maybe the reason for kick starting) this voltage could even be lower. Thiscould make it impossible to start.

The easiest way to bypass the ballast resistor is to simply push in on the starter button while kick starting. The starter button bypasses the resistor when starting to aid in starting the bike. More voltage to the coils - hotter spark.

Marco,

Ashland, OR

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

Kick starting the GL1000 isn't easy at all. The position of the kicker (limited access) makes it difficult to get a good swing at it for a start. Reaching across to the throttle at the same time is almost impossible. A buddy of mine has a GL1000 and he usually ends up push starting the thing because he thinks it is easier than using the kicker!

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
imported post

Heffo wrote:
A buddy of mine has a GL1000 and he usually ends up push starting the thing because he thinks it is easier than using the kicker!
Amen to that! Even push starting a Wing is no bundle of fun! :shock:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.