Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ok, I'll admit it. I collect rocks. Now living here in the Ozarks I've seen TONS of different geodes, quartz, and sedimentary fossils. My daughter and I took a ride to my parent’s house in Grove Ok today and my old man says he's got a rock he can't figure out. What he pulls out is a bowling ball size chuck of amber glass. I figured he dug it up around a building somewhere but come to find out, this chuck of glass was buried in a root ball from a 200+ BlackJack Tree that blew down in the May Storms.

I'm going out on a limb here, hoping someone has a weird hobby like me. I've done all the google magic I can muster and still can't find anything CLOSE to what this is. If anyone has ANY idea, please drop me a note here or pm me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

I have no clue, but that is awesome. Let us know if you are able to find out what it is.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
imported post

I like collecting rock too.... This is a cool find ... looks like the amber formed, cooled, then formed new on top.....

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

Think college geology professors...they'd prolly LOVE to take a few samples and analyze them...! Might make ya RICH!!! :cool: :shock:

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
imported post

Probably slag from a glass manufacturing plant

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

CnC wrote:
Probably slag from a glass manufacturing plant
That was one of my first thoughts as well, until he said that it was found in the "Rootball"of a 200 year old tree. So, while the possibility of it being slag from a manufacturing plant still remains. The odds are slim to none on it being slag. IMHO anyways.

:?

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
imported post

http://www.wemasonry.com/thumb/photo109.html

I still think it is glass, similar to this. May have been used as a decorative piece in a tree ring at some time in the past. The newer glass processes don't have as much slag as in years past, but PPG started making glass in 1883, so

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Like I said, I beleived it to be from a man made form of some kind as well. The problem is not only was this dug out of a root ball, the tree itself is in an unsettled area. And anyone that's been around these parts knows what "unsettled" means. We've only been a state for 100+ years and this wasn't white man territory previous to that. Now for an oak to have a root base the size of an 1100 sq ft room, it's had to have some growing seasons behind it. If we jump back 200 or even 150 years ago, this area not only wasn't inhabited by whites, it was sparsly inhabited by Native Americans. Anyway, I'll keep checking. I haven't heard anything on the dopy geode forum yet. I'll keep everyone updated if I find anything out. Thanks for all the replies!

another shot...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

HA HA HA it won't be very alien in my moms yard. Fit right in with her Saturn Solar Street Lamps.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

HA HA HA it won't be very alien in my moms yard. Fit right in with her Saturn Solar Street Lamps.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

Appears like a piece of volcanic glass.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

no thats either a rock or somethin but its not man made its natural you know of any rock experts in your area take it to them and have them take a look at it or google the rock and send a picture to a rock expert online

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,197 Posts
imported post

I'm for a volcano or something from the sky.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Well I actually found out there's a Mineral Museum in Joplin. Gonna load this thing up and see if they can tell me anything.

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
imported post

kool don't forget to post findings ,opps just wanted to make sure you don't forget

to post :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

·
Just one of the guys
4,805 Posts
imported post

Probably just a Diamond spewed out by some volcano a million years ago.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.