Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:X

Does anyone have an easy way to intall an OEM kickstand on 1800 Wing? The install will be without the assistance of someone else. I've about strained a gut trying to get the thing installed.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Welcome Wayne and Merry Christmas. If you post this in the tech forum you will get some answers.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Welcome to this Great Site!

Pull up a chair and join on in!

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

Ditto on the tech forum, there are som 1800 guru's who'll probably take care of your questions rather quickly:)

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Are you working with the side stand (kickstand) or the center stand? Are you having trouble with the nuts on the side stand or the springs on the center stand?

Do you own a lift or working just by skin of pants?

Kit

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I'm on the center stand and having a heck of a time with the ##### spring! My next attempt will be with a comealong, unless you have the magic formula. Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

:D Yep that spring can be a killer!! Brake pliers work well, and I just use a long screwdriver and put that in the bend of the spring and the end of the screwdriver on the stand and lever it on letting the spring slip down the screwdriver at the same time.

But and I assume you have it off and are putting it back on for a Ride/on stand or something, one thing to make it very easy is while the spring is out where you can get to it, along the bottom side, put in a whole bunch of quarters. Yep regular old quarters. Stretch the spring by having one end of the spring in a vise or hooked over something that will not move and pull.....and insert quarters, do need a bit of help with this as you pull to put in more and the ones you just put in fall out. :) But by putting spacers in the coils of the spring, it will hold it open enough to slip it over the pin on the stand, then you can just pull the quarters out.

If you are lucky enough that you have not removed it yet, use the quarters at the full extended angle and when you take the pressure off it the spring will just fall off. , and also very easy to put back on.

But I do just use a 1/4 inch shank long flat blade screwdriver, hook the loop end of the spring on the shank of the screwdriver, hold the flat of the tool under the pin on the stand and just lever it on. Wear gloves in case you slip a time or two, stops getting your hands skinned up.

Kit

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

:cool:

Great! Thanks for your assistance for I successfully made the installation. Took a bit of tugging and a little anger, but I got the spring in position. Thanks again. I'll have to be honest and tell you that I used a comealong. I stretched that spring out, got the right angle for the cable to be pulled, and aligned the bolt hole, and then bingo! I've learned from past experience that when everything fails, it's time to try again for this just might be the time!

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Where there is a will there is always a way, may not be a conventional way, but if it works, hey it is done.

Glad you got it fixed.

Kit

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
imported post

Wayne Tutor wrote:
:cool:

Great! Thanks for your assistance for I successfully made the installation. Took a bit of tugging and a little anger, but I got the spring in position. Thanks again. I'll have to be honest and tell you that I used a comealong. I stretched that spring out, got the right angle for the cable to be pulled, and aligned the bolt hole, and then bingo! I've learned from past experience that when everything fails, it's time to try again for this just might be the time!
note for future work... when removing ,swing the sidestand to about 3/4 position. this will extend the spring to its most extended position. then push washers(even pennies) between the coils. do as many as possible. then re-installing will be much easier.

Robin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.