Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

You always hear about it...but this one I knew. My buddy's neighbour, 18 years old, Dad co-signs a loan for a 2005 Yamaha 600cc crotchrocket. Dad is all smiles and tells us about the incredible horsepower on this steed.

My buddy says "I'll give him a week before he's either dead or real banged up." He gave me a call last night......he lasted 4 days.....he is alive thank God!!!! but is going to spend quite some time in the hospital.

Insurance will now pay for a 4 day old bike.....his lost wages....his medical....re-training if he is unable to return to his current job...and a list of other benefits.

I will help pay for all of this by way of my own cycle insurance and we pay the highest in Canada. Don't get me wrong....I love the kid, and he is a good kid....but it still makes me angry because it happens time and time again!!!!!

Kyle

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

:( That's always sorry to hear. I hope he comes out ok, but it will be one of those lessons learned via the "College of Hard Knocks". I'm sure, or would hope that his dad warned him of the this sort of possible wreckless activities. Young boys (Men) will always 'see what she can do', and therein lies the problem.
My son, who is about to turn 21 wants a Motorcycle, but I refuse to let him get one (at least, not with MY help) until he takes the initiative of signing up for the Motorcycle training classes offered for free here in Illinois. Bike, Insurance AND Free training. To date, he has not signed up for it, even though it can be done online. He does have his own Laptop and internet access.

I guess he's not motivated enough. Sometimes, we can be our own worst enemy. He'll continue to walk for the time being I imagine.

I hope your neighbor learns a tuff lesson, without much pain in the future.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
imported post

Had the same type thing when my son was 19 years old. He wanted a crotch rocket, I told him I would not help him purchase it at all. He saved the money, searched the internet, found a good deal. We drove from Texas to Illinois and picked it up. Got it home he took a motorcycle safety course and got his license. Rode for about month or so. We got a call thathe had laid it down andthe ambulance was on the way. I arrived and he was scrapped up pretty good, but otherwise okay. I had told him early that the only way I would go with him to pick it up was if he promised to always wear his helmet. Helmet was scuffed up pretty badly, probably saved his life. He rode the bike 1 more time in a little over a year. Finally sold it. I have offered to lethim ride my wing. He took it around the block and has not rode again since then.

You never really know how someone is going to react. I feel for your neighbor, that was the scarest phone call I have ever received. Hope all goes well.

Billy

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

Paper-tag kids strike again.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Had a young man die in a crotch rocket wreck last year here in Galesburg. 22 years old, baby at home, the works.He was a good young man,respected around the community but loved to go fast.Now he's gone and you still see the "kids" wheelieing down the road right by where he perished.

He was weaving in and out of traffic, running about 80 when he lost control and he and the bike slammed into a concrete block building. End of story.

Makes ya wonder if there ought to be some kind of restriction on these but where do you stop when you start making rules? Instead, I wonder if some kind of training where you have to start out on a 100cc and can prove your expertise before moving up. I know, it's untenable but damn its a bitch to lose someone like that.

Let's never forget to remind our young, even if they don't want to hear it, that life is short enough as it is. Take time to slow down and enjoy the ride before it's too late.

Hobie

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I bought my first bike, a Triumph 650 with newspaper route money in 1958 when I was 16, it's a miracle I made 17. Luckily within three years I was in North Western Alaska and had my first airplane. Bush flying was much safer than motorcyclesfor a fool like I was in those days.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

All sad stories. :crying:A book could be written about all of this. :whip:

:walker::18red::walker:

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
imported post

A book should be written, and handed to every kid that wants to by one of those "crotch rockets"...make it their sixteenth birthday present. You couldn't give them a better one!

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

honestly how many of us didnt do the same at thier age. I did and wrote off a new 250 Suzie in 78 after 10 days. However I didnt tell mum or dad (ide left home and joined Air Force)they would have killed me!

Nigel Fenton

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

dean wrote:
A book should be written, and handed to every kid that wants to by one of those "crotch rockets"...make it their sixteenth birthday present. You couldn't give them a better one!
Trying to tell a 16 year old anything is quite the challange....I rode as fast as my bike would run at the age of 16, but it was not 150-175mph,,,more like 70mph, guys like to go fast. As long as they sell them guys will take them to the limit....especially younger ones....to much of a thrill for them not to try it not to mention impressing their friends.......all at a very high cost....to all of us.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Rode 104 miles today....I love this weather and am ready for more....:D:12red:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.