Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Motorcycles will have to pass a test.
But your Prius with multiple batteries does not.

http://www.racerxonline.com/article/racerhead-7.aspx
Then the nightmare that is the new Consumer Safety Protection Improvement Act went into effect on Tuesday. This is the law I mentioned last week here that would have dire consequences if it came to be. Well, it did, and all hell has broken lose in the U.S. motorcycle/ATV industry. Any motorcycle or motorcycle product for children ages 12 and under has to pass a test to determine that its lead content be less than 600 particles per million. Motorcycle engine and cables all contain some lead. So do bicycles, watercraft, bullets, fishing weights, even the ink in many books!
Unfortunately, there was no last-minute exemption for motorcycles or bicycles with wheels under 24”, so motorcycle dealerships all over the country began pulling any minicycles or minicycle parts meant for children under the age of 12 from their showroom floors and stocking shelves.
[align=left]
[/align]All of these bikes were pulled off the floor at Morgantown HondaI drove over to Morgantown Honda to see what kind of effect it was having. Matt “Megawatt” Watson told me they had to pull more than 100 bikes and ATVs off the floor before business opened on Tuesday morning. They were also told to put tags on several Yamaha minicycles (including the YZ85) that stated that those bikes were meant for kids over 12. They couldn’t even order replacement parts for any of the bikes in question! Then they got a letter from KTM telling them to pull a large list of KTM gear and clothing for kids because the lead in the ink on the jerseys had apparently not been tested. Watson also said he couldn’t have any YZ85s on the floor without the aforementioned tag, but the tags were somehow lost in the mail, so he couldn’t even sell the bikes to adults!
OSET is a company that designs, manufactures and sells little electric minibikes for kids aged officially 4 to 10 years. Unfortunately, they had to suspend U.S. sales on Tuesday due to the ridiculous CSPIA law.
“We designed a lot of safety features into our bikes,” OSET’s Louise Smith wrote to us. “No hot engine to burn legs, no oil or gas to spill, light so as not to crush, low seat height so kids can get their feet down easily, low center of gravity, no lead in the paint, and speed control form zero to 17 miles an hour which is controlled by the parent. The ‘safety’ feature that we did not think about whilst designing them was not using lead in steel, inner tubes, cable housing, etc., in case a kid SUCKED on them.”
[align=left]
[/align]The extra batteries in this hybrid probably contain more lead than a full starting gate of 60sThat’s the problem, as I pointed out last week: The law is meant for toys (namely from China) that have lead in the paint, not recreational vehicles, minicycles, bicycles, etc.

My friend Donna Macan had an excellent point on this recall-due-to-lead frenzy: “If they ban the sale of youth OHV because of lead content then the commission needs to ban the sale of hybrid vehicles to people with children under the age of 13 also. The lead content in hybrid vehicles is certainly higher than our gas guzzlers because more batteries = higher lead content.”

From Chris Hultner: Just got back from Wal-Mart (in Oklahoma), They’re still selling toddler and kids’ bikes, as well as Matchbox cars and everything else. We also went to Ace Hardware and they are still selling Hi-Flyers Wagons that even have a lead warning on the box.”

So will local promoters keep holding classes and races for kids under 12? What happens with Loretta Lynn’s and Ponca City and the Mini Os and the big amateur and youth races all over the country? And how will motorcycle dealers, already struggling in this terrible economy, stay in business when their most popular sales items were deemed illegal due to lead content?

Here’s the crazy part: Was the rule even meant for motorcycles and ATVs? Aren’t motorized vehicles of any size excluded from the definition of a children’s product? And how can any reasonable argument made that a child might eat piece a motorcycle’s engine case? It’s like a nightmare that we have yet to wake up from.

[align=left]
credit: Simon Cudby[/align]MX Sports will still have all of its Youth class for the 2009 AMA Amateur Nationals at Loretta Lynn’sWell, it’s time to wake up and do something about it. Every single person reading this article should contact your state’s senators or members of the House of Representatives and tell them how badly this rule has compromised our entire industry and put thousands of U.S. jobs in jeopardy. Please write your letter in a polite and well-constructed manner; I borrowed heavily from the letter Engine Ice’s Dave Kimmey posted on the Vital MX message board to write my two U.S. senators. Check it out.

For a list of your U.S. senators, click here.

We’ve got to get this thing worked out or we’re going to lose an entire generation of young riders, who will grow up and never know the joy of motorcycling.

Everyone is encouraged to visit the Web site of Americans for Responsible Recreational Access, at http://www.ARRA-access.com, which features a letter generator for constituents to reach their own members of Congress.
And here’s what the AMA is doing.

Beyond all that—the loss of one rider’s life, the serious injury to another, the banning of all motorcycles and motorcycle parts for kids under 12, and the potential devastation that will do to thousands of dealers across the nation—it was a quiet week.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

So you are surprised at the decisions of our great leaders? Not I , I am off to eat some green eggs and ham.........

Hey :Question

Our toys for tots run this year before Christmas, anyone see an problems with just banning all painted toys? Will not fluffy bears and rabbits still be ok?

Been wondering about how to deal with this.

Kit

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

so just how many square feet of minibike does a kid have to gnaw on to make him sick?

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

I'm thinking the average kid would give up by half of the first square foot...but there are the determined ones who might go 2 or 3. :D

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
imported post

There was something on the (TV) news about this, last week. Something about used (childrens) toy stores having to close down. They said this 'law' is being 'put on hold', for a year. Because the brains that passed it, can't explain it.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

Of all the bulls**t in this world going on. Of all the ways children are endangered...and they decide to make a law about THIS? What the hell is wrong with people?

I can't wait till we colonize mars. I'll be on the first shuttle out of here.

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
imported post

Broke Winger wrote:
Of all the bulls**t in this world going on. Of all the ways children are endangered...and they decide to make a law about THIS? What the hell is wrong with people?

I can't wait till we colonize mars. I'll be on the first shuttle out of here.
Just think of all the years of college education it took to learn how to do this.

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

The less the government interferes with our lives the better off we all are!

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

How long will a Nation put up with this beaurcratic nonsense, before the people stand up and say no? I would just like to know, so as to gauge when my own Nation will do the same, since we are getting bogged down in the same sort of costly, nanny state,cr*p ourselves.

Can someone please pass me the cotton wool so I can wrap myself up in it, before I hand it to someone else to do the same, just in case we bump into each other and someone gets hurt. :X:X:X

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
imported post

Camel - A horse designed by a committee (today known as a 'team').

Consultant - Someone you hire to tell you what time it is, then they barrow your watch.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Perhaps is they just banned kids it would be safer

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

96aspencade wrote:
Perhaps is they just banned kids it would be safer
I think China is already doing that...not working out too well, last I heard. Lots of "2.5-kid-parents" going to jail, leaving no one to raise the kids??? :cool::action:

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

Big Brother is going to keep us safe if it kills us!

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

damn, what next, our bikes.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
imported post

I had to look at my calendar when I read this to make sure it wasn't April Fool's Day.Looks likestupid politicians live on both sides of the border! Unfortunately we are all being held hostage by the minority lunatic fringe who don't speak for the rest of us but are able to scare politians into passing more and more stupid laws. What happens south of the border will work its way over to my side sooner or later.

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

A bit over a year ago I bought PPG paint to repaint Baby(not done yet). And a couple of weeks ago, I call a local Auto body school about painting her. The instructor listen to what I had and said the school may not allow this paint to be sprayed by the students because it is not Water Bourne paint. But he did say that if they wouldn't, he would but I have to dissmantle the plastic off Baby. A problem in itself. It seems that good old fashion paint is no longer any good.:p:p:p:p:action::action::action::action::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
imported post

My daughter was starting a home based business selling cloth diapers and kids clothes. With this law, she has to have each type of cloth, snaps, and elastic tested for lead. Doesn't make any difference that all was tested before she bought it. Not worth the hassle now.

Here we go, we got young entrepuers who what is needed to help jump start the economy and the government is making it very difficult

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.