Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hey everyone.:waving:

I just discovered the other day a strange but not so strange problem & solutionwith my GL1500.

Since installing the B/N engine this past winter, I have had on and off mis-fire issues with this GL1500. (More of an intermittent stumble or burbling sound in the exhaust)

Ionly had the bike to lose power for a real split second.

I have replaced a number of parts trying to find a solution to this such as the gas cap, fuel shut off valve, Spark plug wires, different temp rangespark plugs, changed out the carbs and synced them about 5 times thinking I had fuel related issues.

I even found the only way to get it to run fairly correctly was to run premium fuel.

But now I have found the real fix (I think..:baffled:)was a slightly defective kill switch!

I use my kill switch ever time I shut down and I am sure that the contacts are worn to the point of causing a slight ignition misfire from vibration while riding.

if I flip the switch counter-clockwise as I normally do then the condition will present itself.

I found this out accidentally about a week ago after rebuilding the forks on my bike and I accidentally flipped the switch clockwise.

After starting and taking a test spin,I noticed right away the difference in power I had and smoothness in acceleration I had.

The real test came when I stopped the bike and flipped the kill switch in the normal direction.

The hesitation presented itself again.:realshocked:

I guess a little voice in my head :cooldevil:told me to flip the kill switch the other direction and viola! A restart then the hesitation was gone!

I've been trying this for a week now and the hesitation only presents itself ifI flip the switch in a CC direction.

One item of note here is that this wing has just over292,000km's on the clock which would also explain just being worn out.

But to the end of this rather long tech note, I thought I should pas this on to others who may have a similar condition on their Goldwing or other motorcycle..;)

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
imported post

I have know the emergency engine shut-off switch to cause problems on a number of GL1500 Wing's. The switch is not sold separately. You have to purchase the complete right handlebar cluster of switches. I just installed a new switch cluster on my '99 Wing, the starter switch was worn out.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

DBohrer wrote:
I have know the emergency engine shut-off switch to cause problems on a number of GL1500 Wing's. The switch is not sold separately. You have to purchase the complete right handlebar cluster of switches. I just installed a new switch cluster on my '99 Wing, the starter switch was worn out.
I figured as much.. I've replaced a few on the GL1200's..

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

The only time I use my kill switch is by bumping it by accident. What is the purpose of using the switch, rather than just turning the key to the OFF position?

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

It is uesd as an emergency shut off. I was trained to use it every thime I get off the bike so if you should happen to fall off, then you would naturally flip it to the dead postion.

It is a matter of to each their own on this topic. I've seen many discussions in the past on this..

It's a good can of worms to open up every once in a while!:D

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Can of worms is only good for one thing, fish bait!!!:shock::shock::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

I only use the kill switch when i need to leave the bike in gear on a down slope to keep it from rolling off the sidestand.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
Can of worms is only good for one thing, fish bait!!!:shock::shock::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

I only use the kill switch when i need to leave the bike in gear on a down slope to keep it from rolling off the sidestand.
:D:D:D

·
Busdriver
1,037 Posts
imported post

If you should chuck the bike down the road, or even just drop it while stopped, the bank angle (tilt) sensor will kill the engine for you.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

mine finnally stranded me...after rippin the bike apart on the side of the road the last thing i checked was the kill switch...jumped it and it ran better than it ever did.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.