Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The cast aluminum (I think) piece on which the kill switch sits is loose. If I twist the throttle completely, it will turn around the handle bar.

It is apparently constructed of two pieces that surround the handle bar.There are two phillips head screws that appear to clamp the parts together, but they are competely tight.

The kill switch works fine, but that module has the hydraulic brake lines fastened to it, so I'd like to get it stabilized.

Is anyone familiar with that part that could help me out. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

On my ltd that setup is plastic, I had an '84 aspencade, and I'm pretty sure that was plastic too. Kind of like the composite used on glock recievers, if yours is aluminum it may not be original, meaning it may not fit right. Can you post a pic?

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

PAPete wrote:
The cast aluminum (I think) piece on which the kill switch sits is loose. If I twist the throttle completely, it will turn around the handle bar.

It is apparently constructed of two pieces that surround the handle bar.There are two phillips head screws that appear to clamp the parts together, but they are competely tight.

The kill switch works fine, but that module has the hydraulic brake lines fastened to it, so I'd like to get it stabilized.

Is anyone familiar with that part that could help me out. Thanks
I'm confused, the housing with the kill switch just has the throttle cables and wires attached to it, the master cylinder which is separate has the brake line attached.
A picture would be worth a thousand words.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Something just occured to me. The housing/clamp for the master cylinder IS cast aluminum, and does have two screws, now I'm pretty sure they should be allens, but that could have been changed. The plastic housing (which is what the throttle and all that attaches two, has two screws of it's own. I'm not sure what your saying, but I'm just throwing that out there.

Anyway, yeah, like Ken said, a pic is worth a lot.

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

blackknytecnc wrote:
Anyway, yeah, like Ken said, a pic is worth a lot.
Thanks, gents. I'll try to post a picture today.

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

OK, here's a picture of the kill switch and module. Note that it is twisted slightly to the left. The arm to the left is a broken throttle lock that I'll repair sometime this month. The next post should be the bottom of the module showing the two screws, which are tight.

Attachments

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Here's a shot of the module bottom, showing the two phillips head screws. Had I known it was so fuzzy, I would have taken another.

Oh, and the connections on the bottom ARE the throttle cables, not the hydraulic lines, as I mistakenly said before. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Yeah, that looks the same as mine, here's a shot of mine from the bottom. I've labled it (cruedly).

1. That's the location of the two screws shown in your pic

2. That's the third screw on the other side, check it to make sure it is there and tight, if not, there's yer problem :readit:.

Also, I don't know if the handle bars tapper at all, but if they do, that throttle lock puts a big enough space between the master cylinder and throttle that if there is a tapper, that could also be your problem.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

it is definitely plastic. the handlebar has a little hole where a tab seats to prevent the control housing from twisting and going somewhere. yours is probably broken or not installed correctly. remove both screws and see what im talking about

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

the handlebar has a little hole where a tab seats to prevent the control housing from twisting and going somewhere
If that's the case, that throttle lock moves the unit over, that means it couldn't engage such a hole, but I just had mine off yesterday and didn't notice that hole, maybe I just didn't look hard enough :?, either way, something else to check.

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Many thanks to you both. I'll check that out and let you know what I find. Might not happen til tomorrow. Really appreciate the help.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

there's a hole on the bottom side of the handlebar that aligns the housing and keeps it from moving. The master cylinder should be moved over to accommodate the throttle lock, not the switch housing. If the tang is broke you will have to find used housing. Look on this site first. Post want ad, you may get lucky.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

William_86 wrote:
it is definitely plastic. the handlebar has a little hole where a tab seats to prevent the control housing from twisting and going somewhere. yours is probably broken or not installed correctly. remove both screws and see what im talking about
+1 or 2, whatever

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

William_86 wrote:
it is definitely plastic. the handlebar has a little hole where a tab seats to prevent the control housing from twisting and going somewhere.
That's the way mine is, and I would expect all the 1200 Wings to be the same.

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Thanks again to all who contributed. I hope to have time to take it apart tomorrow, and I'll post the results here. This is such a terrific site... I, for one, would never be having so much fun without it. Thanks again, guys.

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

OK, I took the kill switch module apart, and sure enough, as several of you suggested, the tang that fits in the hole in the handlebar is missing.

One of the POs apparently tried to remedy this by wrapping enough electrical tape around the handlebar to stabilize the module. It worked for about 5000 miles, at least, but I want todo it right. So I'll start searching for a replacement.

I have another question: How do you move the grip on the throttle forward? Mine has slid back about 1/2 inch, and the chrome piece on the end of it is missing. I can't budge it. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
imported post

Rubber mallet or new grips. The end pieces are screwed on and are subject to coming loose and falling off.

Ken

·
Registered
1 Posts
To PaPete, you might be able to get away with the no slip tape like on skateboards or stairway steps. Clean and rough the bar a bit and wrap the tape around it. Then re-clamp. This may help the module clamp tighter than regular tape. Good luck.
My switch has gone out. I'm looking for a new one. 1985 1200 Interstate.

A day late and.... Just noticed the dates. Faggedaboudit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.