Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

the kill switch on my gl1000 wont shut the bike off. Is using the key to kill the bike going to hurt anything? I have a good used spare switch assembly. The wires arent very long though so i would have to solder the connections, is that even possible. I dont think it will pass inspection with the kill switch not working. Maybee i can take the one on the bike apart and clean it up. Has anyone ever done this before?

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

I use the key to shut the bike off 95% of the time. only use the kill switch when parking in gear. not going to hurt anything. it may come back to life just by cleaning and lubing it.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

i wired mine direct cause it went bad...bike ran better than ever...had crappy ig. connection for the longest time!!??....wow....check yours mabe same?? and no shut off setting?

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Do you think it will pass inspection with the switch not working? I will try to clean it up but i need to tag this thing as im running out of time or pay the penalty to the state.

·
Administrator
26,536 Posts
imported post

It was probably bypassed because it lost connection. I had that happen to me once so I bypassed it. It is only for emergency shut off in case of the throttle sticking, I never use the stupid thing to turn the engine off, it is not intended for that purpose. Missouri must have a strict inspection if they check the kill switch. I would call and ask about it before going to the trouble of fixing it.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
imported post

Good advice from everybody concerning the kill switch... Taking a different tact, don't forget to move the on/off switch back 'n forth (bike off is fine) from time to time, just to keep it "clean". When I first got into motorcycling, a grizzled old biker mechanic I knew told me that many of the "bike won't start" issues could be traced back to the switch and that corrosion can build under the switch assembly to the point that the switch cannot physically move or the corrosion will deteriorate the contacts to the point that trouble begins. William_86 and Davogd430 are correct... Use your key for "normal" shut down and leave that kill switch doo hickie thing-a-ma-jig for emergencies.... As for INSPECTION!!?? Brother, sorry for you! =) God, my Goldwing would NEVER pass inspection... Then again, I built it that way. =) Must suck to have to get your ride inspected... Our Governor is a knucklehead in Illinois but at least we ain't got no doggone inspections. =) Good luck.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Missouri has to get every d--- dime out of you they can. I think I will try to get it inspected and see if they even check the switch on monday. The company i work for owns a few lube and oils so maybee i can get it passed there. If so i wont worry about it, but i will move the switch and see if it ever cleans itself up. The bike hadnt ran for 8 years but i resurected it with a lot of cold ones and several cartons of smokes. Luckily this is all im dealing with so far. Thanks for the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.