Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son called me up today, kind of asking how much longer I think I might be riding my 1800?

Truth be known, I have only filled it up 3 times in the last year, and when I think about going to Owasso or Tulsa?? I think "by the time I can get suited up, pull my riding boots on, and get the bike out of storage, and ready to ride, the Suburban would already be in the Parking Lot and me getting out to go inside the store/doctor's office.

Add the fact, that when the temp gets over 83*F my body can't handle the heat, I have to find A/C or get back in the house.

Around here at home, if I want to get out and see what the neighbors are doing, I get the Piaggio MP3 scooter out, it only weighs 410 lbs, I can get it off the Center Stand with a slight nudge and roll it outside the shop, lock the front forks up, and it just stands there, waiting for me to put my helmet on ... no side stand on the MP3 scooters.

This has got me to thinking that when NASR 13 is done at Norfork, AR this summer, that I will just point the Suburban east and go to Dawsonville, GA and unload the bike there.

It has an up side, and a down side, but the truth is, I just don't yearn to get it out and go riding by myself.... when I do, the furthermost away from home I get is about 30 miles, and I turn around and go home.

Andy / Lopeha just sold his bike and trailer, he had to admit that with a knee replacement and the other knee not doing so well, it was time to tell the bike "goodbye".

·
Pwhoever
3,217 Posts
Only you can decide when that time has come. Sounds like you already weighed your options. You still have the backup, the Piaggio which can still help you scratch that itch.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,847 Posts
Some people can do without riding and be okay. Pretty sure I'm not one of those.

But, in reality, If you do not ride near as much as you used to, and don't seem to miss it...

·
Registered
59 Posts
With this virus going around, group riding has become a thing of the past anyway. I still get out and go to restaurants with a small group by car, but my motorcycle outings are limited to just myself. I might put the Gold Wing on Craigs list this spring. If it sells, maybe look for a trike, .....or even a convertible.
gumbyredd

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
John, I know a guy who rode Gold Wing's for 40 years, many miles (several hundreds of thousands), sold it about a year ago (while still riding good) and doesn't miss it at all.

There are other things besides riding bikes....

Its your decision.....!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
John, Thoughts of the same of getting rid of the Goldwing and going to a lighter bike,or not riding at all,and do more fishing. This new knee replacement is giving me a lot of trouble for some reason. I'm going to give it about 6 months or so and make the decision. Reality is sitting in after I'm finding my balance isn't what it used to be.
I understand exactly what you are saying,John.
Stay safe

Reactions: limpy45

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
John like some of the others have said about you knowing when its time. When I went back to riding it was on a trike due to the late Missuss health issues. Now Im finding Im starting to have arthritis issues with my wrists and hands from working in the factories all those years. That will be my downfall when it comes to riding.

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
567 Posts
My son called me up today, kind of asking how much longer I think I might be riding my 1800?

Truth be known, I have only filled it up 3 times in the last year, and when I think about going to Owasso or Tulsa?? I think "by the time I can get suited up, pull my riding boots on, and get the bike out of storage, and ready to ride, the Suburban would already be in the Parking Lot and me getting out to go inside the store/doctor's office.

Add the fact, that when the temp gets over 83*F my body can't handle the heat, I have to find A/C or get back in the house.

Around here at home, if I want to get out and see what the neighbors are doing, I get the Piaggio MP3 scooter out, it only weighs 410 lbs, I can get it off the Center Stand with a slight nudge and roll it outside the shop, lock the front forks up, and it just stands there, waiting for me to put my helmet on ... no side stand on the MP3 scooters.

This has got me to thinking that when NASR 13 is done at Norfork, AR this summer, that I will just point the Suburban east and go to Dawsonville, GA and unload the bike there.

It has an up side, and a down side, but the truth is, I just don't yearn to get it out and go riding by myself.... when I do, the furthermost away from home I get is about 30 miles, and I turn around and go home.

Andy / Lopeha just sold his bike and trailer, he had to admit that with a knee replacement and the other knee not doing so well, it was time to tell the bike "goodbye".

I can sympathize with you to a point. Not much riding last year. One of my riding buddies shattered his right wrist and can no longer use the throttle. Wrist fused.
Another one has multiple health problems and is afraid ride anymore. My wife and I still enjoy riding, but distance is limited.
Put less than 1000 miles on last year, partially because of Covid restrictions.
The only saving grace is our toy hauler. I can load up the bike and take it with us. Then do sightseeing on the bike.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I too, have a Toy hauler, but unless my daughter can go with me, not worth the fuel costs.

I will just use the tilt bed trailer, and put the bike up on that when I go to NASR13.
Most likely, that will be my last ride on it....

still a few months left to make that decision, but the truth of it is, unless someone is riding with me, I just don't enjoy it anymore.

back many years ago, I used it to ride to/from work and back, 16 miles each way...
and that satisfied most of my yearnings to ride.... but more important, it kept my Muscle Memory up to par in case something popped up in front of me.

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
567 Posts
I too, have a Toy hauler, but unless my daughter can go with me, not worth the fuel costs.

I will just use the tilt bed trailer, and put the bike up on that when I go to NASR13.
Most likely, that will be my last ride on it....

still a few months left to make that decision, but the truth of it is, unless someone is riding with me, I just don't enjoy it anymore.

back many years ago, I used it to ride to/from work and back, 16 miles each way...
and that satisfied most of my yearnings to ride.... but more important, it kept my Muscle Memory up to par in case something popped up in front of me.
It's a tough decision. Only you can decide what is best. I have been having the same thoughts lately. I really don't want to stop riding, it was one of my retirement dreams to be able to ride more. My wife enjoys it also.
One bad part is that I haven't even started to get the bike ready for riding. That used to be my winter project. I have a heated shed that I keep the bike in, my man cave.
Of course the virus situation is haunting me. Hopefully this year will be better and I mind will clear some. A lot has to do with the boredom of being "locked up".
Whatever your decision, it's up to you and you only. Wish we lived closer, you'd have a riding buddy again.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was out today touring my daughter's new mail route, about 5 miles west of home.
and what passes me? a Hot Dog Yellow 1800 and it turns into a driveway right in front of me.

he don't know me from Adam, if we weren't short on time, I would have followed him home.
Obviously he isn't on our forum, nor on the Facebook groups with me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can sympathize with you to a point. Not much riding last year. One of my riding buddies shattered his right wrist and can no longer use the throttle. Wrist fused.
Another one has multiple health problems and is afraid ride anymore. My wife and I still enjoy riding, but distance is limited.
Put less than 1000 miles on last year, partially because of Covid restrictions.
The only saving grace is our toy hauler. I can load up the bike and take it with us. Then do sightseeing on the bike.
What kind of toy hauler do you have? Do you camp with it?

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What kind of toy hauler do you have? Do you camp with it?
It is a 26 ft, Weekend Warrior and yes, we camp in it when my daughter can go with me.

We took a 5 week vacation trip to Florida and South Carolina 2 years ago, because she was going to get a new job and long trips would not be possible for her.

this is how the scooter looks parked inside the Toy Hauler.

the Piaggio MP3 is a 3 wheel scooter, two wheels in front with a unique suspension that leans like a normal bike, and can be hydraulically locked to stand up without using a Kickstand.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Amusing pix, taken when we had to back into a slot that had a "slight incline" behind us :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
I hear ya and understand. I've been riding since the late 1960s in the corn and wheat fields around town. And I've dreaded the day but...I'm selling both bikes this spring. I'm only 65 but health issues and medications are taking their toll. I'm not about to give up yet and already decided to buy a Spyder. Three wheels are better than none (and safer at this stage of life). I used to think that I'd ride until I take the big dirt nap but it's not working out that way. I'm glad for the decades that I had on two wheels. There's nothing like it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
It is a 26 ft, Weekend Warrior and yes, we camp in it when my daughter can go with me.

We took a 5 week vacation trip to Florida and South Carolina 2 years ago, because she was going to get a new job and long trips would not be possible for her.

this is how the scooter looks parked inside the Toy Hauler.

View attachment 324983

the Piaggio MP3 is a 3 wheel scooter, two wheels in front with a unique suspension that leans like a normal bike, and can be hydraulically locked to stand up without using a Kickstand.

View attachment 324985
Nice rig! I’ve been kicking around the idea of getting a toy hauler.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts

John, Sorry to hear you say that but looking back at last year, (2020) I only put 100+ miles on my bike. I totally understand. It seems every year there are less of us ol' guys hittin' the road.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice rig! I’ve been kicking around the idea of getting a toy hauler.
IF,
you get serious about a toy hauler, right now is not the prime to buy one.
I bought the one you see for $7400 about 2.5 years ago.

Covid drove a lot of folks off the grid, and a lot of them sold their homes and started buying anything on 4 or 6 wheels.... my toy hauler has comparables being sold today, at prices from 15k to 30k... totally insane.

so, do your Due Diligence first, ensure that the price being asked is a fair price, based on age and original Show Room sale price.

The Weekend Warriors have some "bad years" behind them, the company has been sold twice IIRC, and the older ones are subject to Sagging Walls if the garage is overloaded, and the frame underneath has not been braced up properly.... And the unit I have, has a Wall to divide the garage from the Living Area. for us, this is great as it allows us to keep the bedding and kitchen area ready to setup and take a nap, or a potty break with just a few minutes stop on the road.

But, the Tie Downs for the bike are centered over the Axles, inside the Living area.... and to place a bike there, you have to fold up the lower bed/couches against the walls.... not fun, it is a PITA to do... so, when a bike is in the middle of the trailer, it is just a trailer until you get the bike out, and setup the furniture.

the garage on our unit, is only 8 feet long, about 10 inches too short to allow a 1500 or 1800 to be placed properly as the little scooter is shown.... I only took the 1800 on one trip to Colorado, and that turned into a nightmare, as the bike had to be loaded crosswise and it was very hard to find sufficient tie downs to keep it upright.... in fact, it laid over on me once, and was a bitch to get back up where it belonged.

INFO: So, while the newer WW units are very good, they are way over priced.... I highly recommend you look at the whole market and find a unit with a good reputation behind it, and priced fairly.

here is my 1800 in the garage, not good.... a real worry trying to back it out, without falling off the ramp.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts