Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Nothing wrong with a scooter John.
I totally enjoyed that Yamaha NMAX 155cc in the Philippines. I imagined it was a Goldwing and was happy to be riding and feeling the wind in my face.

Reactions: Travler

·
Registered
1991 Goldwing GL1500a Trike
26 Posts
Hey John,

Fully understand. This past year has been rough. Due to my work at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, we have been limited on how far we can travel and still be allowed to work. I have knee, back and other health issues, but that is why I have the trike. My wife and I put less than 1,000 miles on it last year, mainly choosing a direction and riding for about 100 miles and then turning around and making it home. Normally there are several trips that we take each year, but this last year was not nearly as active.

I hope you will continue share your wealth of knowledge here on the forum, but wish you well in your decision. When it comes down to it, you are the only one that can make that decision.

Good Luck and Ride safe, no matter what you are riding.

·
Nodnocdar
30 Posts
My son called me up today, kind of asking how much longer I think I might be riding my 1800?

Truth be known, I have only filled it up 3 times in the last year, and when I think about going to Owasso or Tulsa?? I think "by the time I can get suited up, pull my riding boots on, and get the bike out of storage, and ready to ride, the Suburban would already be in the Parking Lot and me getting out to go inside the store/doctor's office.

Add the fact, that when the temp gets over 83*F my body can't handle the heat, I have to find A/C or get back in the house.

Around here at home, if I want to get out and see what the neighbors are doing, I get the Piaggio MP3 scooter out, it only weighs 410 lbs, I can get it off the Center Stand with a slight nudge and roll it outside the shop, lock the front forks up, and it just stands there, waiting for me to put my helmet on ... no side stand on the MP3 scooters.

This has got me to thinking that when NASR 13 is done at Norfork, AR this summer, that I will just point the Suburban east and go to Dawsonville, GA and unload the bike there.

It has an up side, and a down side, but the truth is, I just don't yearn to get it out and go riding by myself.... when I do, the furthermost away from home I get is about 30 miles, and I turn around and go home.

Andy / Lopeha just sold his bike and trailer, he had to admit that with a knee replacement and the other knee not doing so well, it was time to tell the bike "goodbye".

I'm 73 yo. My Wing is a 1992 with a total of ~60,000 miles on the od. I've been trying to convince myself to sell the Wing for about 15 years. During the 15 years I put about 2,000 miles on the bike and that averages to 133 miles per year. I've done every maintenance item on the bike that could be had. The current condition of the bike is similar to a new 1992 Wing 6 months after purchase. It gets in the way in the shop, mice have been found in the air cleaner box. Did you know there was a filter on the cruise control that is supposed to be changed? How to replace your cruise and sub air filters • GL1500 DIY Articles • goldwingdocs.com. Fixing the air shock boot can also be for less money using Monroe Shock-Mate Boot Kit SA1997. The mufflers were the biggest surprise. I needed to remove them for the rear tire work. That is when I found the insides were completely rusted and gone to powder with big pieces of rusty metal rattling around. Finding unrusted pipes is a problem but they are out there. I want to sell the Wing but I still like to polish it 3-4 times a year. So I never really get to the point where I tell anyone that it is for sale. It is worth more in memories than the book value. I forgot to mention that during the last tire change I spent about 20 hours on each aluminum wheel to make them look like chrome and then coated them with Everbrite to protect from oxidation. Maybe I'll sell it next year, or not!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
oh yeah, I remember touching that Cruise air filter and it just fell to the ground like a dust cloud.

I'm still a bit emotional over the 1800, but if I don't get it out and ride it, the mice will take over...
Mine has screens in the intake tubes, so the air filter won't grow acorns... :)

I throw moth balls under it usually, but I think I forgot to do that this winter....
I did put a lot of Irish Spring soap shavings around, under it, opened the gas filler cover and dropped some shavings in there too.

I'm looking at my Fuelio gas records,
10/18/2020 rode it 85 miles

2/2/2020 rode it 149 miles

10/18/2019 rode it 149 miles again
10/18/2019 rode it 140 miles, so these two must have be the round trip to Wilburton, Oklahoma for a RTE with the OkieArkie bunch.

10/5/2018 rode 224 miles with a friend from Stillwater, OK. we had lunch at his favorite Mexican food joint.

10/2/1018 rode it 101 miles

7/11/2018 rode 165 miles around Greendale, IN at the NASR rally there, trailered it up and back to Oklahoma.

5/22/2018 rode 173 miles to home....

that just is not enough to justify keeping it at home, when my son who is now 46 can enjoy riding it a lot of years yet.

. he is the one who got me back into riding after 20+ years... I scared myself at age 30 when I flew up over a hill at 70 mph and there was no backside to it, so we arc'd down over a lot of little rivulets/ravines on the back side with a 250cc dirt bike...... While I was taking that "airplane ride" I prayed to the Lord, "please let me survive this God, I have two little babies that need their father, I will sell this bike tomorrow if you let me get home"

and whamo!!! the rear tire thudded down through 10+ rivulets as I leaned way back and kept full power on it trying to keep the front tire from ending up in a ravine and throwing me off at 70+ mph... no helmet, no jacket, no gloves... that was in the old days....

the bike was gone in 2 days, never saw it again.

then my son goes to Iraq for 2 years and leaves me his 1984 Goldwing to keep it exercised.... I rode it to work and back everyday.... traded up to an '86Sei, then a '94SE which Penski bought after merging me into a center median wall....

then 2 years later, I bought a 98SE that I found in Tampa, FL on one of the motorcycle forums.... luckily two forum members knew of the bike personally, told me it was primo, so I flew down and rode it home.... that trip lasted two weeks, as I wandered here and there, staying over night or three with forum friends.... what a trip that was.

My son is currently trying to get a new job in Atlanta, GA so he can go home after work each day.
He is currently working TDY in Dayton, Ohio with 12 plus hours a day for an employer that has not respect for employees, "just get that job done" puts in 6 days a week, sometimes 7 because some broke down...

They sometimes let him go home for 2 whole days, after a 3 week period, the last time though, it has been 5 weeks because of the Ice storms and the roads were too dangerous to drive 850 miles back to Georgia to see his wife.

If he gets that job, that will be the incentive for me to go down there after the NASR in June this year, and leave the bike with him in Dawsonville, GA.

It hurts a lot for me to leave it sit in the hot summer months, I can't get outside when temps are over 85*F, so an hour or two in an early morning and back home home before the temp reached 85*F

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
I understand John.
I have not been on here the last few years.
The battle with my wifes dialysis journey of nearly 15 years drew to an end the 2nd of January.
Now I find myself making life decisions as well.
At 39 I have no intention of giving up my wing.

John I remember the journey you and your late wife had and how well you were able to move forward with life. As each chapter closes a new one opens.

May God's peace be with you my friend.

Reactions: Pwhoever

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I understand John.
I have not been on here the last few years.
The battle with my wifes dialysis journey of nearly 15 years drew to an end the 2nd of January.
Now I find myself making life decisions as well.
At 39 I have no intention of giving up my wing.

John I remember the journey you and your late wife had and how well you were able to move forward with life. As each chapter closes a new one opens.

May God's peace be with you my friend.
Appreciate the comments Jeff, and my condolences about your wife.
Until one has had to support a dialysis patient/family member, they have no concept of the severe impact on your own lifestyle.

Ref: giving my bike to my son, I just saw a few minutes ago that Scott Lawson posted an update for his wife's Memorial Run... originally the location was to be just south of St. Louis, MO

but, after he said the following, I registered to trailer my bike to Guymon and have one more ride with friends.

Scott Lawson

Due to COVID restrictions it has been decided to move the Rhino Memorial Ride to Guymon Oklahoma, same dates. 14-16 May. This will allow us to do 5 States in one day. Kansas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Texas, Colorado. The Budget Inn has been selected as the base, 580-338-6556, rate $65.00 for 2 Queens, + tax on both. Online rates may be lower??? The official 5 state run is the weekend before, and normally attracts several hundred bikes. We should have the route to ourselves on this weekend.

In a previous job ( 1969-1977 ) I lived in Stinnett, TX just south of Guymon. My job had me covering the entire Texas Panhandle, all of southern Kansas, and the lower S.E. corner of Utah. This ride will bring back a lot of memories from that time....

·
Pwhoever
3,256 Posts
Guymon, I've been there! I rolled through there last year on my way to the MW M&G after leaving Tucumcari, NM on my way to Woodward, OK.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts