Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

G'Day to All. ...

I am the owner of a 2001 GL800 that I bought new in July of 2001. It currently has 37,000 miles on it. I think that I may have the "lemon of lemons" when it comes to the GL1800. It has spent more time in the repair shop than the 1992 H-D Ultra Classic that I owned prior to selling it and purchasing the 2001 GL1800.

Can anybody top this list?

1. (thisfirst list item really counts forfour separate issues) Right away I had to have the seat replaced. There was a chunk of foam rubber missing on the right side. The replacement seat has now ripped out along most of the seam on the drivers portion. And the passenger back rest had/has a one inch gap between the top of the seatback and the trunk. Add to that the right side passenger glove box door was defective.
2. Had to have the rear brake rotor, caliperand pads replaced within the first couple thousand miles. Squeaked so badly that it was embarrasing to come to a stop.
3. The tank sides scuffed out badly in the first week of riding. Overall, the paint is of poor quality.
4. The tach and the speedometer will at times quit working, being stuck on whatever speed/rpm they are showing at the time they stop. Then maybe 20 - 30 minutes later they come back to life.
5. The cruise contol on/off switch gets stuck nearly every time I use it!
6. The trunk/lid problem with the wearing off of the plastic "nubs."
7. The kill switch had to be replaced.
8. The crankshaft pulse rotor had to be replaced. And it took three tries byan authorizeddealer to get that right!
9. The cooling system had to be overhauled.
10. The front fork seals were replaced at 27, 000 miles. The left one blew out againwithinone year and underten thousand miles. The second time the anti-dive valve was replaced too.
11. And last, but certainly not least, the frame was cracked and had to be welded.

To Honda's credit, they have "stepped up to the plate" and covered all of the repairs at no dollar cost to me even after the moto was out of warranty. But there sure has been a lot of down time with this particular moto ...

When it's working right, it's a grand machine, but there seems to also be a really big down side to it .

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Steviewonderful. Sounds like quite a few of those 37000 miles were put on, back and forth to the shop!! I hope that is the end of it for your troubles and that she is now sorted for many enjoyable miles. Perhaps you should trade up to a new 1800, and let the shop have the Friday afternoon one back:baffled:

Pete

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

Just goes to show that not every thing that gets built os perfect, not even from the Golwing factory. I have a new Nissan company car with a similar tale of woes.

However what distinguishes the good companies from the bad ones is how they deal with things when they go wrong. Might be time to put a bit of acid on Honda for a great trade price on either a run out 2005 or even a 2006

Andrew

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.