Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Now, first question. I have a brake light modulator that I want to install. Without looking yet, I assume, knowing me, that I will not be able to locate the correct wires for installation. ( I have no manual) So, if anyone can clue me in as to which is which on my '09 'Wing to tap into, I would be eternally grateful!

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
imported post

too new of a bike for my knowledge..give it time hopefully somone can point you to the info you need

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Have not played with an 09, but on previous year bikes the wire under the seat, it is green with a red stripe. A gray pin connector about a 14 pin I think.

What you can do is turn the ignition on, wrap a bungee around the front brake lever and start unplugging pin connectors, when you get the right one the brake lights will go out.

Now look for the green wire with a red stripe. Maybe they have changed the color, but I highly doubt it.

Or if not sure you can stick a needle through a wire, hook an alligator test lead to it and back to a test light and hit the right wire that way.

Kit

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Kit, thanks so much for the great and speedy reply. Your one paragraph really gives me hope that I can hook this thing up! I actually have lost the dread of an all day task to looking forward to doing the job. I will keep you posted.

Mark

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

:(Distressing news on the brake light flasher. Finished install, and no flash, just normal operation. Moved ground wire to direct connect at neg battery terminal, no change. Installed at green wire, red stripe, silver spots before it runs into the black relay box. Relay wire side to left terminal on 200gw, other cut wire to right side of 200gw. Ground in middle. I don't get it??? Help?:baffled:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Can only be one of two things, The 200 Kisan is very simple and has only three screws, left one is voltage in, middle is ground and the right one is the output to the lights.

All you have to do is snip the right wire and put the feed end to the left side, and the output to the right, etc.

It is not impossible to have a defective unit, but highly unlikely, I suspect you have the wrong wire, there are several under the seat that are very similar in color.
(they are designed to fail in a way to not cause you to lose your lights)
I would use a needle stuck through wires and a tester while operating the brake pedal to find the correct wire and connect to that one.

Connected to the improper wire it will naturally not function.

Kit

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks guys, the instructions have output to bulbs on LEFT and brake input on RIGHT, seemingly opposite of what Kit says. I will try to reverse them and see what I get. The wire I chose seems to go to the relay box section printed "Brake Lights" but I will look again. Tune in tomorrow. Again, thanks so much.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

moparhov wrote:
Thanks guys, the instructions have output to bulbs on LEFT and brake input on RIGHT, seemingly opposite of what Kit says. I will try to reverse them and see what I get. The wire I chose seems to go to the relay box section printed "Brake Lights" but I will look again. Tune in tomorrow. Again, thanks so much.
Well I would follow the instructions, I am working on memory and I am over 50 years old and it is a little bit behind sometimes, especially with electronic gadgets. :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::action:Kit

Also would depend on how you are holding it in your hand, which is right or left . If you are at the correct pin connector, most likely it is just a wire mix up.

I like a swing needle type tester,(I despise digital ones) with that I can push a ground down pin lead into the pin connector at the wire I want to test and alligator clip the ground to the frame anywhere and just hit the brake and watch the needle, if it swings to the right, I have the right wire. I some cases I stick a ignition test needle through the wire and alligator clip to that.
Could be the 09 has different wire color, but does not sound like it, I remember that silver dotted wire too, and is the one I have used on several bikes, but it is at the gray 14 pin connector, this wire is also at another pin connector, so you may be at the wrong connector.

Turn the igniton on, bungee the front brake lever down so it is on, brake lights are on, and unplug the pin connector, if the brake lights go out, you are at the right one, if not your are at the wrong pin connector. Then use a tester to make sure you have the right wire, if you do, then it is a defective gadget.

Kit

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Eureka! Today I returned to my problem, and with the encouragement of Kit and oldnewbie, I first pulled one wire from the unit and verified that the brake lights did NOT work, so I had the right wire. Next I did the complicated task of switching the right and left wires, and AHA! I have flashing brakes. I still maintain that the bulb side goes left on the unit, but what do I know? I was mildly afraid of doing damage to the unit switching wires, but you guys made it no big deal. Thanks a bunch, guys!

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

:cool::cool:Would not be the first time I have seen aftermarket products with very detailed and correct........incorrect instructions. :action: Kit

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.