Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to restore some kitchen cabinets. Cleaning and refinishing method. Natural wood, no varnish or laqueur. Any experts care to express opinions. Thanks. Usually I can say been there done that but not this time.

·
Registered
117 Posts
TSP (trisodium phosphate) is an excellent and cheap cleaner for redoing cabinets. We did that when painting the ugly plum colored cabinets in the house my old lady bought.

You say they are natural wood with no varnish or lacquer. I presume there's some sort of finish on them?

·
Premium Member
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know about the finish. There doesn't seem to any coating on the cabinets. Just natural wood. I know about TSP. We use it even in our laundry cycle. TSP used to be in all detergent until the green weenies took over the government.

·
Registered
117 Posts
If there's no finish on it, I'd still use the TSP, but I would let the wood dry for quite some time before applying anything else. Probably a week in OKC.

·
Administrator
24,823 Posts
My cabinets need refinishing really badly but I hate doing that sort of thing, plus I'm lazy.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Years ago we redid our kitchen the lazy way: bought replacement doors at Home Depot and replaced everything. They even have veneers that match the doors so you can add it to the cabinet framework, sides, etc.

·
Premium Member
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Years ago we redid our kitchen the lazy way: bought replacement doors at Home Depot and replaced everything. They even have veneers that match the doors so you can add it to the cabinet framework, sides, etc.
These aren't my cabinets. Researching for a relative. Linseed oil used to be used for wood but not sure about using in a kitchen. Oh well I will keep looking. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
I recently restored a liquor cabinet for a friend. He had been been over protecting the rosewood veneer by regularly wiping it down with linseed oil. He had been told that linseed oil was the best for protecting rosewood.That was erroneous as the rosewood was already protected by an acrylic finish. He had just messed up the surface with a sticky lint catching mess.

I used a cabinet scraper to remove the oil, leaving the factory finish. All it took after that was a rubdown with a polishing compound and then wax.

See youtube for how to use a scraper if you think it might work for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts