Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Justsucked my KLR 650 plumb dry while running around our local canyons.... first time I've used the reserve..... got 233.2 miles out of the whole tank, which took 4.78 gallons...... so that is: 48. 77 miles per gallon!

That ain't too bad, since I'm 6' and 220lbs, and not known to be light on the throttle. What a great non-Wing the KLR is.....! Economical, fun.......cheap even new...... criminey, I can probably afford a new one everytime I get the old one paid off....... they ain't known for their longevity; although I've read of some folk getting into the 90K's with them. Gotta mess with them some: revamp the balance adjuster and spring, adjust the shim/bucket valves..... primitive machine compared toWings, as are all machines!

But, as an around town bike, as a gravel road bike, as a bike to take you way back into time with an engine you can see, feel, and hear -- can't beat the KLR!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

I've used the klr for commuting and an occasional trip to the mountains , Mine ( have my second one now ) have all been very dependable , first bike sold at 52,000 miles with original chain and sprocket change at around 28,000 , never had to replace the chain tensioner ( doo-hickey) , second klr is now at 27,000 and going strong .

I have just replaced the chain and sprockets along with the doo-hickey , the one I removed was in good shape however ,

I've found that most broken tensioners are a result of improper adjustment procedure or overdue adjustment

all and all a very good example of Japanese engineering other than the seat

replace with corbin or travelcade gelseat (My choice)

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Well, that's pretty heartening.........

As you can see in my photo, mine came with the Gel Seat cover, or kit..... more comfortable than my ST1300 seat. Do you do your own valves? I'm about ready to dive into those.... difficult?

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

I thought that was a gel seat from what I could see. and mine was a cover kit also and quite a bit cheaper than the corbin

In my local groupe here in south Ga we togeather have about 8 Klrs , most used as daily riders and a couple make extended long trips .

as far as the valve adjustment . I havent had to adjust eather of my bikes and as far as I know none of the local bikes have needed adjusting

I see a lot of shim adjusted valves in my auto shop and unless there is a reason for valve service .rarelyis adjusment needed

If your compression is good with no overly noisey clicking they should be ok .

Now if you do decide to tackle it , not a bad job with a good manual and access to the correct tools

only problem may be obtaining the shims in the correct thickness

most dealers have kits ( If they will share)

I've noticed to that you ride a ST1300, Great motorcycle to ,although here I sort of lean to the FJR 1300

I just enjoy all kinds :waving:

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Cousin of mine did the great divide from Canada to mexico on his this past summer. He speaks well of it.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

The Great Divide! Now, that would be a ride worth doing........

Yeah chdeshm, my Doohickey was okay at 5500 miles, and I think perhaps the only benefit of swapping it out was so I could quit worrying about it! Do you think the emphasis on the Doohickey failure is mostly hype?

The Dreaded Doohickey!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Hey guys, how comfortable would that bike be with a rider? Would you lose a lot of performance with one?
Just curious. :baffled:

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

SpiderBob wrote:
Hey guys, how comfortable would that bike be with a rider? Would you lose a lot of performance with one?
Just curious. :baffled:

Red and I have ridden it two-up for short distances..... it can be done, but the comfortis marginal..... As for performance, you would have to stiffen up the suspension at the very least.But you wouldn't have to worry about gettingany speeding tickets! But without doubt, some folks tour two-up on it.

http://multisurfacemotorcycling.com/index.htm

I think the Suzuki V-Strom 650 would be a much more comfortable "two-up adventure tourer." Red has very little interest in gravel road riding, and that's what I primarily bought the KLR for.... and for a general around town bike....

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
imported post

I love the dual-sport...I had (I still do, just all tore apart) a Yamaha XT600 that I put all kinds of miles on, both on and off road. My wife (girlfriend at the time) enjoyed it but we never took rides more than an hour.

It was stolen many years ago and recovered about 4 months later. It was trashed and I started to rebuild it but just found more important things to do with my time and money.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.