Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi!

We're in the process of putting another 1986 1200 motor in our 1986 Interstate. The bike has 120,000 miles, not all ours, the replacement motor has half of that. The reason for the swap is a knock in the motor that follows the revs. Bill thinks it's something mechanical, bearing, chain, or whatever.

But here's the rub. Both motors have the ignition pulse sensors on the back of the motor. From what we've read in the service manual only the 1984 1200's had that, and the 1985 through 1987's had the ignition pulse sensors on the front of the motor around the crankshaft. All that is pretty understandable, except the wiring harness has the two senders for the front wired into the harness and just laying on the radiator, not connected to anything.

Logic might say that both motors are 1984 motors - not 1986 ones - that were put into these bikes somewhere along the way. Other logic might say the wiring harness was replaced on the bike with an updated harness.

Here's our concern. Could it be possible that these unattached front ignition pulse sensors have been picking up a false signal that would cause improper ignition advance, thus the perpetual knocking?

Has anyone else found front sensors in your wiring harness that's actually using the rear ignition pulse sensors location?

Thank you so much for all the help!

Enjoy,

Liz

·
Administrator
21,860 Posts
imported post

Actually, carburetor syncronizationproblems can cause a knock in the motor like the one you describe.

What's going on with those motors...it's really hard to tell. 24 years and how many owners?

Have you looked at the front of the engine to see if thereare pulse gens up there too?

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Actually, carburetor syncronizationproblems can cause a knock in the motor like the one you describe.

What's going on with those motors...it's really hard to tell. 24 years and how many owners?

Have you looked at the front of the engine to see if thereare pulse gens up there too?

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
Dennis, Hi!

Thank you so much for the welcome. I confess we've been lurking for a while. There's just soooooooo much wonderful information here.

Here's a bit of an update.

We figured the extra pulse generators dangling from the front of the motor in the '86 bike meant that the pulse generators were mounted in the back, like the other motor. Since my first post we have confirmed the motor on the bench that's going in the bike, truly is a 1984 motor.

After taking the timing covers off the motor in the '86 bike we find there already are pulse generators attached around the crankshaft. Interesting, because that means the wiring harness literally has two sets of pulse generators wired in. Both have the same length of wire, and both fit perfectly into position around the crank.

Bill, who's looking over my shoulder while I type, says he's wondering if one set is for the carburetor and one set is if the engine were fuel injected. It makes sense that Honda would make one universal wiring harness for both the carbureted Interstate and the fuel injected Aspencade. Am I making sense?

Thank you for the help and thoughts.

Enjoy,

Liz

EDITED: Corrected from 1996 and 1994 to 1986 and 1984.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

copper204 wrote:
86? 96? 94? it is a 1200 right? so typo on 96 and 94 correct?

i had a typo too....lol
YIKES!

My mistake. My bike is a 1996, a little German bike. His bike is a 1986 Goldwing 1200. The motor on the bench is a 1984.

So so so so sorry! I hate it when that happens.

Thank you so much for letting me know of the typo.

Enjoy,

Liz

PS: I'll go back and edit the original posts.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
imported post

mslizvt, you have two 1984 motors. the wires you are looking at are for the original motor which had the pulse gen. on the front. if you look you will find some wires spliced in to get to the pulse gen. on the 1984 motor. another thing, check the air gap on that pulse gen. the specs. are in the book . the air gap on the 1984 can be adjusted, if the pickups are set to close they can hit the cam in the pulse gen. and knock like crazy, all it takes is a feeler gauge to adjust. it is hard to reach but can be done, get it on the center stand and remove the battery, small hands help. regards walkabout:waving:

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

MsLizVt wrote:
Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Ooooh one more update!

With these lovely old bikes you never know what has been done to them over the years. In the process of taking things apart the game is to figure out why some of the mysterious things have been done to the bike. A motor with two sets of ignition sensors is a bit mysterious, don't you think?

Well as it's coming apart we've found someone had replaced the ignition pulse sensors on the front of the 86 motor, which is in the bike. However they didn't pull the old defective pulse sensors out, probably because they couldn't get the connector through a tight spot under the brake lines on top of the frame by the steering head. Most likely after a few tugs of the wires they decided to just leave the old sensors dangling. This makes me smile. The mystery is solved.

As best as we can tell, we do have a 1984 motor on the bench, and most likely the original 1986 motor in the bike. The ignition pulse sensors are on the back of the 1984 and on the front of the 1986.

I will certainly tell bill about setting the gaps and show him what you all have mentioned.

Thank you so much for all the help.

Enjoy,

Liz

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.