Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was sitting here in electronic central and at the front door came a Knock, knock, knock. Went to the door and there was a fellow who works on the oil field well pulling machine that services the wells around us. "Can you bring your tractor up and help us get unstuck?" Told him that my tractor would not be able to pull that 50,000 pound tandem axle truck out of the field if it was buried. He assured me that they were just stuck in the greasy mud on the surface. It is raining this morning and I do not think they were that happy about having to pull that well today.
So I put on my carharts and got the tractor fueled and out of the shed. The dog loved that as she barks and attacks the front tires when I start the tractor. Stupid me forgot to put a hat on and get a pair of gloves for the 48 degree and rain day.
When I got to where they were hung up I saw that he was not telling me a lie. They were basically on mud that was like ice. So I backed up to the back of that rig ( The JD A looked like a garden tractor hooked to a big pickup truck ) and the operator started his wheels turning and I snapped in the clutch on the JD. The old girl hunkered down, started clawing for solid ground and with the front end bouncing up and down with every firing of the 2 cylinders (you guys that had experience with those 2 cyl tractors can relate to that) she provided the necessary pull to get them back to the road.
They told me to send a bill to the boss. I told them I would just settle for some used 5/8" and 3/4" sucker rods. The operator said he thought they could do that and "Oh by the way, we want another 3 pipe racks." Dang, if they keep this up I will be in the top 1%.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
There's nothing like the sound of an old John Deere "hunkering down". My uncles owned several, one ofmy former neighbors bought and rebuilt them as a hobby. He was a machinest, not a button pusher like the machinest of today, no offence to anyone that is a machinest, but I've seen this man bore, make his own sleeves, and even make pistons, and they worked!!!.. Any gears, cranks what ever he had some old old machines that he used to make what ever he needed.. I have helped him strip these old J.D.'s down, sand blast and repaint them..

But the thrill came when once together he cranked them up for the first time!!!Yeah buddy!!!..He would hook up plows and go plow up this little piece of land next to his place, it belonged to a cemetary so they didn't mind him plowing on that huge vacant lot...I sure miss hearing those old Deeres, when he passed away his wife, who hated his hobby sold the running one's and all of the bits and pieces. Then she sold his shop equipment for junk iron. :eek:...

That old saying about "Nothing runs like a Deere" is so true..You'll have make a video of that Deere running...

·
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Being in a former Oliver, Moline, White tractor dealership we used to say "Nothing runs like a Deere but nothing smells like a john."

·
Premium Member
12,685 Posts
Thats a sound I dont hear much anymore . All the farmers have long since put the poppin Johns out of service . I do know a few folks who have them restored to better than new condition for parade use . Occasionally I will take in a tractor pull . there you can always count on seeing a few of the ole 2 cylinders pulling there hearts out .

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
I always thought Harley V-twins would be good in tractors.

·
Administrator
24,375 Posts
Lawn tractor maybe. :grin:

I spent several hours on the seat of a poppin' John in my youth.

·
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Read an article about them being used in ultra light aircraft. Now there is a scary thought. Kind of hard to pull over to the side of the road to fix it and what kind of airframe would it take to survive the vibration?

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
Back in July on our way home from N-5 I seen more old tractors setting in front yards for sale, or out in the pastures. I don't mean just one or two, but at one place there must have been 20 in all kinds of shapes. Didn't slow down but I think there were a coulpe of old Johnnies setting there..Man I can see the look on my neighors faces if you fired one up at my home...It would only take but minutes before HPD drove up:eek:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
The Heath Parasol was one of several home built aircraft powered by Henderson motorcycle engines before WWII. I always thought the Goldwing engine would be an excellent homebuilt engine if there was a way to cut away the tranmission to lighten it. The 'Wing engine with it's high torque and low rpm would be a great airplane engine. Maybe even better than the Suburu which is very popular.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.