Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just a heads up, that one of our members Koxx4, has been appointed "Keys& Locks Guru" due to the fact that he has indepth knowlege of motorcycle keys and locks, through his trade as a Master Locksmith.

Being the sort of person not given to sing his own praises, I thought I would mention it on his behalf.

If you have any issues regarding lost keys, keys locked in trunks, ignition or other barrels with issues, it would be good to address Koxx4 and seek his assistance.

Might be good to still put any questions for him in open forum, so that everyone might benifit from his knowledge, although I am sure he won't mind a PM to give him a heads up about the thread.

I know he and the company he works for can cope with any motorcycle key or lock ever made, bar the HISS system found on UK 1800's which are coded in such a way as to be a "Honda stealer" only thing. They can still make up a key that would get you into the boxes for a HISS fitted bike but it wold need to be HISS fitted by Honda, to work in the ignition.

One other thing to note, Koxx4 is a UK member and so please bear this in mind if tying to contact him, and of course he has a normal working day to contend with as well as sleeping etc. :waving:

(if this post were better placed in another forum like the Reference one, I am sure one of the A team will sort it)

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

there is a lock i could do with him opening,,, i will supply the dark suit, flashlight and cosh :cheeky1::cheeky1:

congratulations on your promotion koxx4

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
imported post

I do have a question for him!! My gas tank cover lock bit the dust the other day, had to pry it open with a screwdriver. I checked with Honda and they wanted $42 for a new one. Is there a substitute that can be rekeyed to work with the ignition key??? It's not that important to be able to rekey it but it sure would be nice.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Thats great news, just another fine member who is willing to help others out.

That is what this whole place is all about friends helping friends:clapper:

Thanks for the heads up also Pete:cool:

Ride Safe, Ray

:action:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

cntryboy1289 wrote:
I do have a question for him!! My gas tank cover lock bit the dust the other day, had to pry it open with a screwdriver. I checked with Honda and they wanted $42 for a new one. Is there a substitute that can be rekeyed to work with the ignition key??? It's not that important to be able to rekey it but it sure would be nice.
if you haven't already done so, shoot Koxx4 a PM to highlight this thread and your question, and I am sure he will respond as soon as he can.

One thing I should have mentioned ( and will edit my first post), Ian is a UK member so please bear this in mind when expecting a response.:waving:

·
Lock and Key Guru
1,030 Posts
imported post

cntryboy1289 wrote:
We have replaced these locks in the past with Lowe and Fletcher cam locks,(much cheaper)however they cannot be rekeyed to suit the rest of the bike, as the key section (key blank) is different. I would look on eBay for a replacement lock or if you do order one from a main stealer order it under your existing key number.

·
Lock and Key Guru
1,030 Posts
imported post

Many Thanks for the heads up Foxy:cool: I will do my best to help members on the Forum:waving:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

koxx4 wrote:
Many Thanks for the heads up Foxy:cool: I will do my best to help members on the Forum:waving:
Not a problem Ian, but don't expect me to go easy on you elsewhere on the forums, this is important enough for members, tonot take the micky, but elsewhere I consider you to be fair game I am afraid. :cooldevil::cheeky1:

·
Lock and Key Guru
1,030 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

looks like i wont be running around on an 1800 for the foresable future then:)

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
imported post

Thanks and congrats, or as I was told by the sheriff's deputy at the courthouse when I was looking for the wedding license office, are you really sure you want to go there?????

I had thought about just finding a push button door lock to replace it, like one of those on a glove box in a car. I may drop by the junk yard this week and see if I can find one to put on there. Thanks,

Jeff

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

I guess if you were lucky enough to find one that also locked with a key, you could only bother to lock it if you felt it was necessary.

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

could you swap the lock with that on the right fairing pocket, and just keep the pocket empty, just a thought

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
imported post

That was my first thought as well. I want to keep it if I can though just to keep a place to keep something in up front. I am going to drop by the camper store this week and see if they have one of those locks such as what they use in camper cabinets as well as the local home building supply and see what turns up. I'll let you know what I do.

Locking it up isn't as important as keeping the lid down when I drive. Like I said, I may just keep popping it open with a screwdriver if a replacement runs too much.

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

I just took the busted lock out and have to use a bungie cord strapped down the length of the tank. If you find some kind of push button lock that works please
do tell.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
imported post

Picasso, I found a couple of locks like they put on the gumball machines and drink machines that doesn't have a real long blade that holds the lock closed. I think I bought two for $10 and if it works like I think it will, I will send you the extra one in the mail.

What I am going to do most likely is pop the one on the fairing out and use it for the gas and let the fairing pocked have the new lock. I'll let you know how it turns out when they get here.

Jeff

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

Thanks Country,,, let me know how it fits and looks.

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
imported post

Koxx4 is a good egg, very helpful and gets the job done :action:

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

I don't know if this is the correct way to fix a jammed/gummy lock as recommended by a master locksmith, but...

I have twice rescued a lock on my 1100. One was the tank lock, which got extremely stiff, and one was a helmet lock, which would unlock, but would then refuse to give up the key until you spent a minute or two wiggling it.

In both cases, I first shoved the plastic tube from a can of brake cleaner into the lock, and hosed it down, cleaning all the gunk and grime out of the lock.

Next, I did the same with a can of graphite lubricant. This is black stuff that comes in a spray can, but the carrier is extremely volatile and evaporates within seconds, leaving behind a thin coating of dry graphite, which is very slippery. You have to be careful with this stuff, because it is BLACK, and if you get it anywhere you don't want it to go, that place will be BLACK as well.

In both cases, it made the locks function as good as new.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.