Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Lock and Key Guru
1,030 Posts
imported post

GSMacLean wrote:
I don't know if this is the correct way to fix a jammed/gummy lock as recommended by a master locksmith, but...

I have twice rescued a lock on my 1100. One was the tank lock, which got extremely stiff, and one was a helmet lock, which would unlock, but would then refuse to give up the key until you spent a minute or two wiggling it.

In both cases, I first shoved the plastic tube from a can of brake cleaner into the lock, and hosed it down, cleaning all the gunk and grime out of the lock.

Next, I did the same with a can of graphite lubricant. This is black stuff that comes in a spray can, but the carrier is extremely volatile and evaporates within seconds, leaving behind a thin coating of dry graphite, which is very slippery. You have to be careful with this stuff, because it is BLACK, and if you get it anywhere you don't want it to go, that place will be BLACK as well.

In both cases, it made the locks function as good as new.
Using the brake cleaner could be a problem as some of the locks have plastic parts in them and this could melt or weaken them.

However the graphite is a first class lubricant and has been used for yearsto ease stiff locks. It is only in the last few years that other products have been used. Most lock manufacturersnow recommend WD40 (this is cleaner to use) We use GT85 which has Teflon in it, (very slippery).

The stiffness in the locks is caused by dirt and water corrosion, so as part of normal maintenance I would recommend a quick shot of WD40 to each lock this will prevent ware and keep them running smoothly.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

Congratulations on your promotion Koxx4, now Ian if you can tell me the secret of why i keep losing my keys all the time please

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
imported post

derekhendry wrote:
Congratulations on your promotion Koxx4, now Ian if you can tell me the secret of why i keep losing my keys all the time please
for that you need a brain cells guru Derek.:cooldevil:

Good to see questions and answers re locks and keys like the one from GS, and Koxx4, it helps us all learn some do's and don'ts on subjects like this.:clapper::clapper:

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
imported post

Check with your local lock shop. They have a spray lube specially designed to lube and clean the locks. Also a reputable locksmith can most likely make key and repair a stuck lock as long as you do not drill it out. I made that mistake once and my locksmith never lets me forget it.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

but is the stock lock able to be rekeyed to fit the others?

pm sent

·
751 Posts
imported post

GSMacLean wrote:
I don't know if this is the correct way to fix a jammed/gummy lock as recommended by a master locksmith, but...

I have twice rescued a lock on my 1100. One was the tank lock, which got extremely stiff, and one was a helmet lock, which would unlock, but would then refuse to give up the key until you spent a minute or two wiggling it.

In both cases, I first shoved the plastic tube from a can of brake cleaner into the lock, and hosed it down, cleaning all the gunk and grime out of the lock.

Next, I did the same with a can of graphite lubricant. This is black stuff that comes in a spray can, but the carrier is extremely volatile and evaporates within seconds, leaving behind a thin coating of dry graphite, which is very slippery. You have to be careful with this stuff, because it is BLACK, and if you get it anywhere you don't want it to go, that place will be BLACK as well.

In both cases, it made the locks function as good as new.
I use some stuff I used to use on my mtorcycle chain (kaw kz400ltdH1) Its called tryflow not sure if its the same stuff But Ive used it in my ignition switch & did this lastmay 2009 & it has always worked like a charm!

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

EDDIE W wrote:
looks like i wont be running around on an 1800 for the foresable future then:)
Just remember they shoot Horse thieves......Iron Horse that is :shock:

·
Lock and Key Guru
1,030 Posts
imported post

hummer5205 wrote:
I use some stuff I used to use on my mtorcycle chain (kaw kz400ltdH1) Its called tryflow not sure if its the same stuff But Ive used it in my ignition switch & did this lastmay 2009 & it has always worked like a charm!
Be warned, motorcycle chain lube is designed to be sticky to remain on the chain when its in motion.
The very fine springs in all pin, slide and lever operated locks will not over come this stickiness you will effectively glue the tumblers in place! The first time you put your key in it will set the position of the tumblers and the lock will work and may go on working for sometime, however should you ever insert a wrong key by mistake it will reset the tumblers to the new key shape and they will not return to a neutral position, so when you put the right key in it will be jammed solid.
If this happens don't be tempted to put screwdrivers or anything else into the lock, the slide tumblers in motorcycle locks are easy to bend and damage. In stead flush the lock with WD40 or a very thin penetrating type oil and work the key in and out until the tumblers move freely again even when the lock is working again continue to flush until you are happy that all the sticky stuff has been removed.
My best advise is never to use oil or lubes that don't expressly state on the can that they are suitable for locks.
In the course of a week we strip and rebuild about 50 motorcycle locks about 25% of which have been filled with anything from gear oil to grease and all have jammed.

Locks on motorcycles tend to be overlooked when a service is done on the bike, they are exposed to the elements, when you drop your keys you often transfer grit into the lock, when you take out of your pocket fluff is often attached to them which is then forced into the lock without your knowledge, so locks have a hard life. One squirt of the correct lube at service time will keep them sweet helps prevent jams and reduces wear to the keys.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
imported post

That should prove useful Ian, thanks mate. :applause:

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

neoracer wrote:
Yes, it is. When I bought my '83 it came with 5 different keys. Ignition, right fairing cover, fuel door, bags, removable bag locks (it had Hondaline removable bags). Don't quite know how they all got changed but the bike was 23 years old when I got it so it must have seen a few interesting days. My father showed me how to re-key the locks and I was able to rekey them all to work with the ignition key.

·
Lock and Key Guru
1,030 Posts
imported post

wpgfire wrote:
neoracer wrote:
Yes, it is. When I bought my '83 it came with 5 different keys. Ignition, right fairing cover, fuel door, bags, removable bag locks (it had Hondaline removable bags). Don't quite know how they all got changed but the bike was 23 years old when I got it so it must have seen a few interesting days. My father showed me how to re-key the locks and I was able to rekey them all to work with the ignition key.
This is often true of the earlier Goldwings, however with the advent of the GL1500 Honda used Left hand and Right key blanks for the locks, if you have a mix of locks on the bike and your key will slide into the lock but not turn then it CAN be re-keyed, but if the key will not enter the lock it is not possible to do.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

Did any of you folks see the post ( I am not at all sure where I saw it )about creating a knob that stays with the bike, by cutting off the end of the key and gluing a replacement knob from the radio on the sawed off end of a key. obviously this is considering that you find a key/lock that will work. It would work for any lock that you don't need to be locked all the time. I do realize that this isn't an answer to the original question. Gook Luck

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
imported post

au75bolt wrote:
Did any of you folks see the post ( I am not at all sure where I saw it )about creating a knob that stays with the bike, by cutting off the end of the key and gluing a replacement knob from the radio on the sawed off end of a key. obviously this is considering that you find a key/lock that will work. It would work for any lock that you don't need to be locked all the time. I do realize that this isn't an answer to the original question. Gook Luck

I have that on my fuel door and faring pocket. I traded those two locks with a buddy of mine. We both made them and even if someone did steal it and make a key out of it again, it won't work cuz it fits someone else's bike.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.