Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Just did my first oil change after having installed the spin on adapter for my 1100I. I put on a JC Whitney dipstick at the same time last May.

I have got to say, that is the second best modification I have done to this bike, progressive rear springs the best.

Drained the oil, spun off the filter, let it sit for an hour for it all to drain out, spun on that new filter, poured in the new oil and I was done! Didn't really need the nitrile gloves I was wearing. Clean, quick and complete.

My hat is off to Randak for making my life just that much better.

·
Administrator
28,071 Posts
imported post

Yep it is a nice thing but I have conversed with him about it and won't buy one unless he makes it so a Honda equivalent filter will fit it.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,529 Posts
imported post

What's the difference between the OEM filterperformance and a quality spin-on Dave? The reason I ask is I've been thinking of installing one on my '85 and you've got me curious now....

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

There was a couple or more Canadian guys making these in the beginning. personally, I'd rather have one that you can fit a common car filter on. I only use Wix though.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

I think he's referring to the conflict over the threads.

The idea behind adapting for a spin on filter is great.

But Honda uses one spin on filter for all their motorcycles that use this style.

And they are all metric threads. And there are lots of other car filters out there that use the same metric threads, so you have several substitute filters available.

But the adapter was made to use a filter that has SAE threads.

It works finewith the right filter, but you can't use a Honda filter.

Also, the fittings are very close in size. You can physically fit a metric filter on the SAE fitting, but it will be slightly loose. It will tighten down, but eventually it will come off. So if you make a mistake and put a Honda filter on it, you could have a severe failure.

On the other hand, you cannot fit an SAE threaded filter on the similar metric fitting, so you would not be able to make a mistake in this regard if it had been designed as a metric.

So the adapter is great, but it would have been even better, and more practical if it had been designed with metric threads to match the Honda filters.

·
Administrator
28,071 Posts
imported post

Wolfman wrote:

But Honda uses one spin on filter for all their motorcycles that use this style.

And they are all metric threads. And there are lots of other car filters out there that use the same metric threads, so you have several substitute filters available.

Also, the fittings are very close in size. You can physically fit a metric filter on the SAE fitting, but it will be slightly loose. It will tighten down, but eventually it will come off. So if you make a mistake and put a Honda filter on it, you could have a severe failure.

On the other hand, you cannot fit an SAE threaded filter on the similar metric fitting, so you would not be able to make a mistake in this regard if it had been designed as a metric.

So the adapter is great, but it would have been even better, and more practical if it had been designed with metric threads to match the Honda filters.
Exactly, and it would have the same threads on both ends of the nipple so it would be easier to make. Just about every Asian car uses the same 19mm thread size so it isn't like a filter would be hard to find and one could if they wanted use an OEM Honda filter.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

I've used on of those adapters for 7 years with Fram TG series filters and am going strong, no problems at all. Well worth the money.:waving:

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,529 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
Wolfman wrote:

Exactly, and it would have the same threads on both ends of the nipple so it would be easier to make. Just about every Asian car uses the same 19mm thread size so it isn't like a filter would be hard to find and one could if they wanted use an OEM Honda filter.
Thanks guy's!!!:coollep:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.