Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all, these days it seems we can get used, abused and ripped off by all kinds of retailers. So when one really comes through we need to share it, and here goes...

A few years back I purchased a Tour Master Synergy heated liner. Worked GREAT for a year or two and then died. Contacted Tour Master and they had me send it to them to check out. Two weeks later a new one arrived with no questions asked.

I wore that one for maybe three years and then the thermostat pulled out where it straps to my leg. It still worked fine but some insulated wiring was showing and I wasn't sure if it would continue to last or not. Contact TM and told them - they recommended I don't continue using it but to send it to them to evaluate whether they could repair it or not. The RMA paper they asked me to fill out said I needed the receipt, date of purchase, etc but I obviously had none of that due to it being a factory replacement and told them I couldn't even remember if I had had it past the 3 year warranty, then sent it in anyway. Got some nice emails along the way saying they would do all they could to expedite a turnaround and get me riding warm again.

Two days ago I received a brand new Synergy 2 (improved version, old one I got for $163 but these run over $200 but at least you get the stat with it)! No questions asked, no making me jump through hoops, no trying to disqualify me on a technicality - just plain old taking care of the customer the best way they could, with friendly emails to boot.

One can argue whether two jackets should have failed over perhaps 6 years but one could also argue the second one was not so much failing but wear and tear from pulling on it too much and was not their problem. Bottom line is these guys stand behind their products so don't be afraid to try their stuff out - I'm obviously really impressed with their efforts to make good when their productscreate an issue. And the recent Transition 2 and Overpants I got have been excellent value as well.

Good to know there's still some good suppliers out there.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Good to hear they treated you right! :applause:

I've had good experiences with allmy TM gear, ...... except for the heat controller onmy 1st gen Synergy jacket liner I've had for the past 3 1/2seasons. It crapped out the 2nd day and they were back ordered on them (well known/documented failure rate) I was able to hook up a 'jumper wire' and bypass their proprietary heat controller and use another brand. (do a search here and you'll find it)

At the beginning of this year, I see they have 'revamped' their heated clothing line and I believe they also did an overhaul on their heat controllers.

Would it be too much of an imposition to ask you to take a few photos of their new heat controller, how it hooks up to your linerand post it?

Cheers, Dusty

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hey Dusty, I'll try - sorry about the quality of the pix and I can only figure out how to attach one. The new Synergy 2 comes out of the box with a dual controller to handle the liner plus an add on such as heated pants, gloves, etc.

The red connector on the controller hooks up to the matching red plug coming from your power source - it comes with a battery connector but I use a coiled cord from Tour Master that lets me plug into a 12V power receptical on the bike (similar to a cigarette lighter).

The black controller connector plugs into the black jacket connector and provides power to the jacket through the controller's black knob.

The gray controller connector plugs into the remaining jacket connector to feed additional items such as heated gloves, etc (which would connect to jacket connectors in the sleeves) and whose temp would be controlled by the gray knob.

What's changed with version 2 is they now use steel wiring which is supposedly more efficient and durable than the older jacket, they include a dual controller instead of single and there is also a temp sensor in the jacket to modulate the heat based on where the rheostat is set rather than just constantly feeding the same heat level. The controller is also now a rheostat instead of the original choice of three buttons (low, med, hi) so you have more control over the temp.

Nice to pay one price and have everything you need right out of the box without another purchase for the controller. Hope this helps a little!

Attachments

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Great photo and write up Bravo, Thanks! :bowing:

I see their new and still proprietary heat controller, won't work with my 1st gen jacket liner, so I'll stick with my First Gear heat controller and jumper setup.

Thanks again! :cooler:

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

I'm glad to hear they treated you so well. I'm a bit surprised that they had you send it in directly to them though. I've had two warranty failures on TM equipment, one on my Venture Air pants and one on my Response 2 boots, just got those back last week. Both times they told me I had to send them in through the dealer. They would not take them back directly. Both times it took about a month. Wasn't real thrilled with that but they did honor their warranty both times and I'm sure they have their reasons for not dealing directly with the customer, but it seems like an odd way to do business to me. If they were just going to have the dealer take care of the warranty then I would understand that, but they don't. They have you send it to the dealer and then the dealer sends it to TM. :?

Again I'm glad it worked out well for you.

John

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

John - Maybe the reason they dealt directly with me is that my first jacket was purchased from an online dealer across the country rather than a walk in store, not sure. It probably saved me some time not having to go through a third party, though.

Rusty - Compacc.com, Jafrum.com andand I'm sure others sell Synergy accessories and replacement items. The newer controller is available in a single rheostat version for about $36but not sure it wouldn't overload your gen 1 jacket elements if turned all the way up. I don't know the rating of thegen 1 but the gen 2liner is rated at 72W/6.0A. The rheostat has five indent settings and the temps go 43C/109.3, 52C/137.8, 61C/141.8, 67C/152.6 and 75C/167 if you can compare. They could confirm this if you contact them, but I would think that worst case since the connectors appear to be the same you could at least use it by not going to the higher settings if need be. Just a thought.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Bravo wrote:
John - Maybe the reason they dealt directly with me is that my first jacket was purchased from an online dealer across the country rather than a walk in store, not sure. It probably saved me some time not having to go through a third party, though.
Actually both of my items were purchased from Jafrum too, not a walk in store. That's what I meant. I had to ship them to Jafrum and then Jafrum had to ship them to TM. This was at the direction of TM, not Jafrum.:?

John

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
imported post

Good to hear good critique when good critique is well deserved. Thanks for posting.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

I have had my Synegy jacket liners for over 4 years and not had any real problems. We use them each winter and summer if in the HIGH country. I have followed Dusty's postings with the bad controller and for that reason I contacted Helmet-House Tourmaster directly. I told them I wanted a spare controller to take along incase of a failure, just like I carry extra Com cables for the helmet sets. They sent me the spare controller right away and at no charge. Usually they would ask to have a dealer request the controller and if it is back ordered the dealer can request one from the warrantee department. Buttt in my case I could not be happier. The only issue I have had with their liners is that one of the cables pulled through the fabric a little. This I easily repaired with a ring of Goop adhesive. This is a lot stronger than the grommit they put in.
I have a friend who was not able to use his Tourmaster Synergy jacket liner at all. We were 1600 from home on a cold morning. He found that he threw in his Wifes size small liner instead of his XL. Ooop's!

Corventure Dave

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Hey Corventure Dave,

Thanks for that post - TM is obviously willing to bend over backwards in a lot of cases to help out their customers. No doubt it cuts down their profit margins when they so easily replace defective gear, send extra controllers, etc but I'd bet they make it up over and above by the good will and extra business that goes their way.

I recently purchased a jacket and overpants from them but when my Discover Card gets off life support I hope to add some heated gloves and then I'll be good to go. Other than installing a coffee pot on the dash I can't think of much more I can do to stay warm!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.