Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have heated grips on my 1800. With the standard grips that came on the bike, the grip heater was hot. I mean you couldn't run the heater on high for very long because it would give you 1st degree burns! :cooldevil:Just kidding......but they were hot.

I waited and waited for theKury iso-grips for the 1800 with heated grips version. As soon as I did this, I noticed that the grips did not get near as hot, frankly they are luke warm. The grip heater is working normally as the problem started as soon as I put the grips on and they do still get warm. The iso-grips grips are acting like a heat sinks! :shock:Has anyone experienced this before and how did you correct it? :baffled:

I absolutely love the Kury grips but I would like my hands to stay warm while on the road here in the winter in Kansas because Iwant to ride the Wing almost year round (with the exception of snow and ice) and don't want to have to take the cageduring temps in the teens and twentys so any help would be appreciated. :)

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

You can boost the heat to the heated seat quite easily, but cannot boost it on the heated grips as they bypass the thermistors.

This is a very common complaint with the addition of the Kury Clamshell grips over the stock heated grips. Heat sink is a good way to describe it.

I notice even down here in South Carolina on a cold morning between 30 and 40 degrees they are just barely adequate. That extra layer of rubber over the grips and the metal coverings work against each other, the rubber isolates the heat more and the metal tends to pull it away quickly.

I know of no solution to it, just too much extra material over the original grip. Have never seen a solution to it and I study everything I can find about the 1800.

I like the size of the grips, but as for the function it is only adequate in warm climates and in those that are really cold, they for sure loose the intended function .

I suppose if you like the size of the clamshells, a set of heated gloves would be the way to go.

Kit

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

I also had the clamshell grips on my 1800.The grips were not as warm as without.Took them off as they were to big around for my hands,just did'nt feel good to me.Bought a pair of foam slip ons from cyclemax for $8.00 and love em..:action:

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
imported post

Will the Kury clamshell grips be compatible with Honda Genuine heated grips that have been fitted to my 2001 GL1800?

I got the impression they were designed for the later models but have not been able to find a definitive answer anywhere.

Does anyone know for sure if they will / will not fit?

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

chrisatgoldwing wrote:
Will the Kury clamshell grips be compatible with Honda Genuine heated grips that have been fitted to my 2001 GL1800?

I got the impression they were designed for the later models but have not been able to find a definitive answer anywhere.

Does anyone know for sure if they will / will not fit?
The Kuryakyn clamshell grips are made for the 2006 to 2009 models, they will not fit the earlier year models.

Kit

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

chrisatgoldwing wrote:
I had a feeling that was the case.:( Thanks Kit. Are there any other products that can be used over the heated grips I have?
yes some of the slip on foam grips will work. You just slip them on over the existing grips and they enlarge the grips some.

I will look for some a bit later.

Kit

Hey maybe they do fit?? I have been told over and over that they do not fit, but Flyone has them, his bike is an 02??? Not sure, but older than 06, maybe that is why they do not heat so well, mine do not burn your hands off but the do heat, his it seems do not, could it be the grip material on the older bike is a bit thicker, now I am confused :D He got em on there evidently. Kit

These are the foam grips I was thinking about, I see them from time to time at Rally's, the Wingding, shows, you can just slip them over the existing grips.

Motorcycle Grips, Hand Grips & Padded Grips | Grab On Grips

·
Premium Member
20,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Kit Carson wrote:
Hey maybe they do fit?? I have been told over and over that they do not fit, but Flyone has them, his bike is an 02??? Not sure, but older than 06, maybe that is why they do not heat so well, mine do not burn your hands off but the do heat, his it seems do not, could it be the grip material on the older bike is a bit thicker, now I am confused :D He got em on there evidently. Kit
Yes Kit, mine is a 2002 and the clam shells was installed by the dealer last year. The grip heater was also installed by the dealer in 2002. I'm not sure if the grip heaters are different on the 2006 model than mine, but the new 2008 GL-1800 in the garage has the same stock grips that my 2002 has so I don't know what would be different..................I wish I could figure out how to make the Kury's not act like a heat sink. I am going to contact Kury about them and will report what they have to say after the holiday.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
imported post

Flyone, many thanks again for the info you gave me, it was very much appreciated.

Ok, I have been doing some research into this, so here is the latest update on this problem you are having with heat not coming through. I have been in touch with Kury and their technical department have told me that the clamshell ISO definately does NOT fit the Honda accessory heated grips that are fitted to models before 06.

They say the 06 onward stock heated grips are a different design and that the ISO clamshell will only fit on these.

This got me to thinking. Has your dealer definately fitted clamshell grips over your accessory heated grips, or have they put on another ISO grip of the same pattern because the clamshell would not fit?

Just a thought, and I may be way off the mark,but it would explain why you are not getting enough heat through.

Also, if they have put the clamshell over your heated grips, how have they managed it when Kury are adamant that they will not fit?

·
Premium Member
20,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks for checking with Kuryakyn Chris! I was going to but I have been under the weather for the last few days.:shock:

I saw the package before the dealer installed them and they were definately Kuryakyn Iso-Grips. They were one of the first sets around because I had them on order for three months before they came in. To further examine the issue.........My grips do get half way warm after 50miles, but nothing like they used too. They used to be real warm with a mile or two. I guess I will have to be a tougher biker dude I guess or get a heated suit to ride with because I really love the grips!!! Maybe a bigger resistor in the system to generate more heat?

Makes me wonder as well..........would Kuryakyn admit to a problem now and have to take back all those grips they sold??? :baffled:

I will not send my grips back anyway as they are very comfortable so I will look for another opportunity to make the grips warmer on start up. :cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
imported post

I guessed they would have put the proper grips on for you, but I suppose all avenues are worth exploring.

You are right about them not wanting to admit if they got it wrong, it would be very embarrasing for them I guess (and expensive).

I think I will still buy a pair assince you have them on your bike they must fit regardless of Kury's public stance on the matter. It is not a huge investment either, and once I have a pair here to play with I will be able to look into the heat issue in more detail by comparing performance of my grips with and without the clamshells.:action:

By the way, what temps do you ride in? I have noticed that once I am riding down to about minus 5 degrees C (don't know what that is in degrees F) my grips aren't amazingly effective anymore, and my fingers get a bit cold. At all temps above freezing though they are very effective, and I very rarely have to have them on full power to keep warm.

·
Premium Member
20,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

chrisatgoldwing wrote:
By the way, what temps do you ride in? I have noticed that once I am riding down to about minus 5 degrees C (don't know what that is in degrees F) my grips aren't amazingly effective anymore, and my fingers get a bit cold. At all temps above freezing though they are very effective, and I very rarely have to have them on full power to keep warm.
Chris.......I did the conversion of -5C which is 23F. I typically ride in temps like that as well here in the Kansas winters. About -8C is my limit (20F). I have found without the clamshells, I am experiencing the same results that you are. With the clamshells, I ride with the controller on high 90% of the time. After about 50 miles, if I turn down the controller any at all, it acts like I turned the heat completely off. Useless........

Another suggestion from another board was to enhance them by using hand wing wind defelectors.......I'm not sure if I am going to do this or not. I'm not sure I like the look but time will tell!

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
imported post

Hello again.

I have been doing some digging and may have come up with something that would be a solution / compromise for you. Have a look here http://www.hippohands.com/hhgw1800.htm

Looks like they are a simple 2 minute on / off application and are designed specifically for the GL1800.

You could just use them when needed IE very cold temps, and keep them in saddlegag when not needed as they are not at all bulky.

Sorry can't think of anything better at this stage.:)

·
Premium Member
20,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Thanks Chris..........I appreciate it! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.