Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously outdid myself this time ! just got Kuryakn grips delivered today. After watching a Youtube video job seemed perfunctory enough for even myself to attempt.The left side grip went on just fine. I did a test run on the throttle side grip and everything slid on nicely. I then put the glue on and when I tried to slip it on it got stuck half way....would not budge. I tugged and tugged and eventually resorted to a hammer. Resulted in grip coming off but shattering the plastic inner liner of the grip. There is a piece of broken plastic still inside the housing, which seems to control the throttle. What the heck can I do to fix this ? can't even ride the bike up a ramp into a truck to take to dealer to fix.
Pic of broken plastic piece attached. Cant believe this.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mate-I tried opening the switch housing but only find 1 x Philipps screw-can't take the thing off. Any pointers-it a 2003 GL1800 ?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You will have to replace the throttle tube. Open the switch and loosen cable adjustment

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
Thanks mate-I can't get the right switch housing off-I only see 1 x Philipps screw..not budging-anyone with an 03 able to weight on ? cheers

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,305 Posts

·
Administrator
25,781 Posts
There is a screw at the outer front and 1 at the inner rear of the housing then a screw and clamp that holds the upper part to the handlebar visible after you pull the lower part down.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
I'm assuming so..can't locate the second one ( 1st is obvious as it shows clearly)
The screws are diagonal from one another.
On my Gold Wing, I have heated grips so there is an electrical cable in the way and partially hiding the outer most screw.
IMG.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,682 Posts
To remove a set of Kuryakyn grips I hated … they were part metal with rubber sticking out in places in a pattern … I used a Dremel with a cutoff wheel to split the grips metal, then they slipped off. I liked the foam types.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts