Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

The description sums it up. I only got the chrome cover around October and always clean it, but already there are a few spots where the chrome is bubbling. I'll be sending this back. Very dissapointed, I expected Kury chrome to be better than that!

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

my passenger transformer boards are bubbling and my exausts extensions(the triple straight type) are the same ,,I rang kuryakyn and I have to send them back ,,but in the meantime I have to pay for another set until they receive my old stock back and if it is the fault of kuryakyn they will refund me my money ,,for the original set .

But what if they tell me it is my fault that the chrome is lifting ?it means I have paid for 2 sets of transformer boards and 2 sets of exaust tips ,which will probably go the same way ,,,,cheers Ciaran

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

I took delivery today of a Chrome WindshieldGarnish for the front of the bike despite the fact that I put a new one on in May 2004 and have done about 6000 miles with it on. The first one is covered in little fine bubbles and pits despite being cleaned after every trip very carefully. It is obvious that aftermarket accessories are not built to last and are an expensive rip off. Considering I spent a small fortune in 2004 on chrome aftermarket bits it seems a ripoff having to start looking at replacement bits after only one season. At present I have a new screen, Windshield Garnish, Boomerang Frame Covers. Stealth Lights and flag poles all sitting in the garage to replace tarnished items which lasted one summer season. I think the makers are ripping us off in the view that we have a never ending pot of money to spend.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
imported post

Kury has been having problems with quality - lack of it that is.

I think they are handling it by selling the crap rather than making their supplier take them back.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

I think the problem is mainly that the aftermarket chrome people are almost all USA based. Their chrome probably lasts well in the parts of the USA that never see rain, frost, humidity etc. That's why Honda chrome lasts better, Japan gets plenty of rain etc so Honda and other makers have learned to make chrome that lasts.

My message to all those chrome makers is simply; The people that buy your chrome live in the real world! In the real world, chrome gets exposed to rain, sleet, snow, dampness, as well as SUN! :X

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
imported post

Every piece of Markland aftermarket chrome on my '84 Aspencade is pitted (thats the way it was when I bought it). However, the original Honda chrome, for the most part, is good. There are a few spots, mostly welds, that need to be cleaned up.

I am getting quotes to have the chrome re-done locally.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
imported post

I have Kuryakyn footrests, AddOn chrome trims on my fairing vents, Markland backrest and armrests. All of them are starting to rust after only a couple of years. The Wing is garaged and generally gets taken out in dry weather. :X

Oh yeah, all the Honda chrome is still perfect and it's been on the Wing a lot longer. :?

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

JDuggan wrote:
Oh yeah, all the Honda chrome is still perfect and it's been on the Wing a lot longer.
Why am I not surprized to read this? I've spent the equivalent of half a years pay on aftermarket chrome on several Goldwings and Harleys in the last 15 years. None of it lasted, even though the bikes themselves are still going strong, mostly with the original Honda and Harley chrome looking good.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
imported post

The same thing happens to us here in the States. I pulled my 75 from a barn after sitting for 13 yrs and all the aftermarket stuff was crap. The original stuff was great.....

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Now you all know why my 87 Aspy is all original and looking pristine.. The aftermarket chrome do-dads just end up crapping (opps) out in a few years and the bike ends up lookinglike crap (oops again)...

OEM chrome must meet DOT plating specifications for hardness and thickness which equates to quality and longevity of the finished product.. It applies to automobiles, planes, trains etc. The aftermarket manufacturers are not required to meet those standars. They do, however, meet the money taking standards...:whip:

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
imported post

I always wonder why aftermarket chrome falls apart so quickly. When they get dipped and polished, how come some lasts and other stuff doesn't. Is it down to preperation, not changing the solution, or is there different type of chrome?

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

I know that some chrome isn't suited for outdoor use. FI, chrome rails for shop displays (rails for hanging dresses on etc.) are done cheap. Chrome over nickel won't last anywhere near as long as chrome over brass.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

englishted wrote:
I know that some chrome isn't suited for outdoor use. FI, chrome rails for shop displays (rails for hanging dresses on etc.) are done cheap. Chrome over nickel won't last anywhere near as long as chrome over brass.

Don't know if you know it or not, but chrome is actually a blue-ish clear coating.

The steps to properlychroming somethingare 1. polishing and cleaning2. copper plating for a scratch filler 3. nickel plating 4. chrome coating to enhance the shine of the nickel and to protect it.

Most aftermarket chroming skips the copper step to save costs, that why you can see the grinding marks/scratches.

Proper polishing of the metalbefore the chroming process and proper cleaning are 2 steps aftermarket companys usually slack-off on.

I had trouble with Kury stuff also. When I talked with one of the younger guys there, he told me that most of their stuff was done overseas, not in the U.S.

You can find out about home chroming at http://www.caswellplating.com I believe this is the correct addy.

Ronnie-The Toolman :waving:

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

That's interesting Ronnie. If I thought I could do it myself I would buy one of those kits and have everything chromed, including possibly the mother-in-law!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.