Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I posted this on the usual GL1800 forums so should get an answer from someone. I bought the Kury "Lightning" chrome cylinder head covers last week and today fitted them to my 1800. They are made of metal and are fairly hefty and I'm wondering if the 3 or 4 double sided tabs (allegedly heat resistant) are really enough to keep them in place in real-world conditions (rain etc). They do look real nice but I am curious if anyone else has reservations about this or had problems, even though the items have only been available a few months. I put some extra DS tape on but it may not resist the heat as well.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

Steve from HGB fitted mine at the Treffen and used clear silicon to fix them on as I watched him doing it. He was using a small toothpaste like tube of silicon and applying it in fine little spots where it wasn't taped. I rode home in the dry and wet and they are holding fine. I polished them today and gave them a tug to check. Them seem to be stuck fast with no sign of them coming loose. I got stuck in a queue of traffic and rode hard when possible. The casing got hot but still stayed on very solidly. I know he sold what stock he had very quickly and I agree they look absolutely amazing. I spoke to Steve Hendy of 'his & her illusion fame' who bought two pairs and fitted them very shortly afterwards. He told me he used some extra double side tape similar to that used to hold on number plates.

Did you take any photos of my bike on the HGB stand as I forgot the camera and would love to see one with them on if you have any.

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I don't want to use silicone John. I know it will hold the covers fine but if I need to take them off (maintenance, selling bike or whatever) I know that silicone won't come off easy. It leaves a real mess on paintwork (including cylinder head lacquer) and needs to be sanded off. I'm going to do a search for heat resistant DS tape and will get a roll of it and plaster it all over the inner surfaces, that way the covers won't fall off and if I do remove them the tape residue will be easily removed with a petrol rag.
I only got the side of your bike that didn't have the cover on, sorry about that. You can see it (with the top of your bike as well) with Nick Fowlers work about half way down this page; http://www.goldwingfacts.com/picturepage29.htm

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

For what its worth lads ,I put lights on to the engine covers of my 1500 and held them in place with heat resistant tape,and guess what ?they fell off after about 3 weeks :(:(,,it is really difficult to get something to stick on a heated surface without making it a permanent fixture,,,So I think these tabs will eventually come unstuck .I am still trying ways to keep the lights in place without drilling holes ,if I come up with a solution I will let you know ,,ps great photos Steve ..see ya sunday ..Ciaran

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

Oh those covers do look nice. Making them to conceal the upper 3 head bolts was a nice touch. I think I can find out tonight or tomorrow where you can get hold of those thick HR pads, or on a roll. "I'll be back."

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

Well I found it lads (sorry if I beat you to it Heffo). It's the 3M Scotch 114 heavy duty foam tape. It doesn't say high temperature on the pack but in fact it is. I think the rolls are about 4 feet long.

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

Actually Ambrose I was thinking more about the 3M 4000 series (4016, 4018 etc, different number = different size tape), the 4000 range is rated as high temperature.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
imported post

I would like to see a better photo of these covers as I may buy them but need to see them better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.