Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was going to buy a set of Kuryakyngrips for my 81 GL1100 but when I looked at them at the bike shop it said for Goldwings 75 to 2005. I was talking with a bike mechanic before this and he had told me to be sure to buy them so they fit a older Wing that has the 7/8" handlebars and not the 1" which the newer Wings have. (Not sure what these measurements are on the metric scale)

Has anyone installed the 75 - 05 grips on a older Wing with the 7/8" barand what/how did you go about doing it? I'm thinking they'd be to sloppy in a older bike.

If you would have a certain model # that is specifically for older Wings it would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
462 Posts
imported post

I bought them as 1 " for my 85 Aspencade,but had to return and exchange for 7/8 inch to get them to fit tightly and correctly.I`d say if they arent 7/8 inch I`d find a different set that are and use them.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

Try this:

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=honda&ci=2765

Anyone of the three listed on this page will fit. Just depends on which accent ring you want.

Here is a link to an eBay auction that sells the grips for $36.95:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GOLDWING-PARTS-KURYAKYN-ISO-GRIPS-W-CHROME-ACCENT-6180_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ10066QQitemZ4566716918QQrdZ1

I ordered mine from this guy and they work perfectly. He ships them out to you very quickly too so that is a real plus. They are far cheaper than anywhere else on the net. Brand new and still in the package.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

I must admit, I didn't know the GL1800's had 1" handlebars, thought those were only on Harleys. I think the length of the grip will become moreimportant to your '81 1100. From '75 to '81, the grips were 5 1/2" long. In '82 Honda switched to a 6" long grip. While the longer grip will fit on the older bikes, when pushed up to the switch housings, there will be about 1/2" left without the bar inside. This will feel mushy and may lose it's shape over time.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

jackjohn wrote:
when pushed up to the switch housings, there will be about 1/2" left without the bar inside. This will feel mushy and may lose it's shape over time.
Not so with the Kuryakyn Iso Grips. They are made of metal and have rubber pads. There is no way for them to do this. I do not believe that if there is a1/2" gap at the end, that you would even know it. The outermost pad is greater than 1/2" in from the end of the grip so I am sure that there would not be any problems with the gap.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

If you had slightly over long grips, you could alway either fill the end with some expoxy or a piece of tubing of the right diameter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.