Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just picked up my new (to me) 2006 Wing. The previous owner had installed these Kuryakyn grips that I am not too fond of. So two questions:
1. Are the grips installed with some sort of adhesive that would make removing them a pain?
2. Recommendations on replacement grip? I am not too hip on adding chrome to my bike. Oh and the bike has the heated hand grips.
Thanks!
Joe

Attachments

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

If the bike has OEMheated hand grips and not grip heaters, then those Kuryakyn hand grips should be the Clamshell ones and shouldn't be too hard to remove.

If you indeed have the grip heater kits installed, then removing the regular type Kuryakyn ISO hand grips will be more involved to remove without damaging them, (due to grip adhesive) but can still be done.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
imported post

I removed them also, just a few alan screws here and there and the chrome comes off, then you van slide the rubber from the original grips, they aren't glued...

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
imported post

Do you want to sell them after you remove them? Do the 1800s have 1" bars like the 1100s?

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

HyperPete wrote:
Do you want to sell them after you remove them? Do the 1800s have 1" bars like the 1100s?
i think you`ll find that the 1100 (80-83) has 7/8s inch bars . also the 1000 (75-79).

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
imported post

wda-83wing wrote:
HyperPete wrote:
i think you`ll find that the 1100 (80-83) has 7/8s inch bars . also the 1000 (75-79).
Whoops, my bad. I was just coming in to fix it, but you beat me to it!

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks for the good information folks! The bike has the OEM heated grips so it sounds like my task will be easy. Now to find some more suitable grips.

Wijllie, what grips did you put on to replace them?

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

If you haven't given them a fair trial, do so. They came on my Valkyrie, and at first I didn't really like them, but after a while, I found they were really comfortable for long distance riding.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

tfdeputydawg wrote:
Grip Puppies over the OEM grips work as good as anything out there and the heat comes through very nicely:
http://www.casporttouring.com/cst/motorcycle/GRIPPUP/GPGL.html
Link posted simply for illustration purposes. You can web search "grip puppies" as many places sell them.
Looks like they fit over the original grips which I don't have. Bought the bike with the Kuryakn grips already installed.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I'll bet you have the original grips underneath those Clamshell Kuryakyns you have on there now! ;)

Another vote for the Grip Puppies! :cooler:

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

After purchasing my wing in 04 I found my hands did not like to curl small enough to properly grip the OEM grips without starting to cramp up. I'm 6'4" with big hands. I bought Grip Puppies but found they still did not make the grips large enough to be comfortable for a long distance ride.

After visiting with Jluvs2dive and seeing the Kuryakyn grips on his bike I bought a set. Perfect...The make the grips large enough that I can now ride all day without issues.

If your hands are large you will appreciate the larger grips. If not then you may find them uncomfortable. If you end up removing them there are a lot of guys here who would love to have them.

Henry

·
Master Sgt. USAF Retired.
243 Posts
imported post

4evermetric wrote:
If you haven't given them a fair trial, do so. They came on my Valkyrie, and at first I didn't really like them, but after a while, I found they were really comfortable for long distance riding.
Agree...Agree....Agree!!! "Down right finer than frog hair." don't have an idea why you would want to replace them. I've got them on my 1500SE and my VTX1300RS.:bow:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.