Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My alternator quit working while we were on a ride yesterday. I have the original as a backup but was wondering if there is a rebuild kit for the Lactrical 95 amp alternator or is it even worth it. I can't afford to go with Compufire but was hoping to rebuild this one or have it rebuilt if anyone knows of someone how will do it for a fair price. I am also due to rebuild the OEM. It's been in there since '93 and only had the brushes replaced.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took it to an alternator shop today and the guy said it would probably cost more to fix it than buy a new one. He bench tested it for me and said he was pretty sure it needed a new voltage regulator. Does anybody know what the part number is for the regulator? Someone on another forum said Lactrical uses the same alternator as the Saturn. The guy at the shop says there is nothing in there that looks like Delco. I opened it up and pulled the regulator to get the number and none of the numbers on it turn up anything on google. Google thinks they're license plate numbers. :)

·
Administrator
24,335 Posts
I took it to an alternator shop today and the guy said it would probably cost more to fix it than buy a new one. He bench tested it for me and said he was pretty sure it needed a new voltage regulator. Does anybody know what the part number is for the regulator? Someone on another forum said Lactrical uses the same alternator as the Saturn. The guy at the shop says there is nothing in there that looks like Delco. I opened it up and pulled the regulator to get the number and none of the numbers on it turn up anything on google. Google thinks they're license plate numbers. :)
I would think he could have given you some idea what brand it is. Maybe you could contact Lactrical.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would think he could have given you some idea what brand it is. Maybe you could contact Lactrical.

He asked me what it came out of and I told him a '93 GL1500 but it is an aftermarket alternator sold by LActrical. He didn't want to open it up because he said it would cost more to fix it than to buy a new one so I started the hunt on my own. I may go with something like the one DBohrer mentioned. Knowing which alternator it is built around would make it much easier to find parts. Rebuilding the alternator is the easy part. Finding the parts to do it is what's hard. I will however, try to see if someone at LActrical will talk to me about this alternator. There has to be a market for rebuild kits for those who like to rebuild their own stuff like alternators, carbs and starters.

·
Administrator
57,354 Posts
He asked me what it came out of and I told him a '93 GL1500 but it is an aftermarket alternator sold by LActrical. He didn't want to open it up because he said it would cost more to fix it than to buy a new one so I started the hunt on my own. I may go with something like the one DBohrer mentioned. Knowing which alternator it is built around would make it much easier to find parts. Rebuilding the alternator is the easy part. Finding the parts to do it is what's hard. I will however, try to see if someone at LActrical will talk to me about this alternator. There has to be a market for rebuild kits for those who like to rebuild their own stuff like alternators, carbs and starters.

send it to Ken Heming, he will make it good again.
he don't care what brand it used to be

Ken Heming Alternator Repair

219-947-4038

http://myplace.frontier.com/~hemi-roid/

http://myplace.frontier.com/~hemi-roid/

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks John. I looked at the website when Mike posted it earlier. It seems that it would cost more to ship it and have it repaired than what I paid for it new. I went all over the inside of the alternator and found the word Transpo. Then did a search with a couple numbers and it lead me to a catalog with a few hundred pages of alternator parts. Once I found a picture that matched, I was able to cross reference the numbers and come up with the Hitachi equivalent.

Edited:

I deleted the list I printed earlier because I thought I better make sure the parts fit and work properly first before posting.

·
Premium Member
3,362 Posts
I believe post # 5 indicated it would be Hitachi parts........!!

Glad you found the part.

Thanks John. I looked at the website when Mike posted it earlier. It seems that it would cost more to ship it and have it repaired than what I paid for it new. I went all over the inside of the alternator and found the word Transpo. Then did a search with a couple numbers and it lead me to a catalog with a few hundred pages of alternator parts. Once I found a picture that matched, I was able to cross reference the numbers and come up with the Hitachi equivalent.

Edited:

I deleted the list I printed earlier because I thought I better make sure the parts fit and work properly first before posting.

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
I had one from LActrical. Went out after 7 months. Contacted them, sent it to them, they replaced it. 6 months later, it went out. They told me it was a problem on my causing it and wouldn't help. Then they stopped replying to my emails.
Boughtt one from DB, still working fine 4 years later.
I know this doesn't help you identify yours, but I told LActrical I would badmouth their product every chance I get.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts