Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started in Mt. Morris, IL. with 3 other couples, 2 harleys and an FJR plus me and wife on the GL1800. Very eclectic group.

Day 1 up to Manitowoc WI to the older, slower ferry to Ludington. $180 for 2 and bike. (a faster one goes Milw. to Muskegon MI for $40 more) Loading was well organized but they don't tell you on the website you need tie down straps (which they will sell to you for $13)

Important: you need to be among the 1st people on board to get a deck or lounge chair. below decks was uncomfortable hot.

Douchebag teenager in Ludington on a scooter tried to take me out. I only managed to evade because I was WATCHING him. He was waiting at a stop sign, let 2 of our 4 staggered formation bikes go by, then inexplicably zoomed out while still looking the other way as I approached. I evaded around the front of his path and then he almost hit the biker behind me. That nite we toasted to not ending our day in the hospital in Ludington.

2nd day was up to St. Ignace via the big bridge and then west to Escanaba MI along MI highway 2 which IMHO is one of the best rides in the upper midwest.

Additional challenges included a ladder falling off a pickup & a mama and 2 baby deer that did what deer do.

Day 3 was back to mt morris.

Good trip, nice people, and we're probably doing something with the same group next year.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
It's would be easier to find if it were flat in a motorcycle section, but the notice to bring tie downs is in the FAQ section. Small issue for such a nice trip. Glad you enjoyed the rest.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Three days? Too bad you didn't have more time. Yes, Highway 2 is very pretty. Did you do the "tunnel of trees"? That ride from Ludington to St. Ignace is nice.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes, we did the "tunnel of trees" in the NW corner of the lower peninsula. It was kind of depressing that 1/2 or more of the properties were for sale. A reminder of just how bad MI's economy has been for the last decade.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
I lived in Ludington until a decade ago. What a beautiful area Northern Michigan is, but to make a living there...NOT! It's just all tourist now. How about the Petunia's along the road in Ludington, pretty isn't it? :claps:

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
I might try this ride in September. I am told the faster ferry out of Milwaukee offers discounts after Labor Day.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Circle Tours

Now that you've done Lake Michigan, you have to keep going. We've done the tours around both Lakes Huron and Superior. Both were excellent rides, but you need to allow enough time to really take in the sites. We love touring around any body of water. Just something to think about. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Now you need to do this trip. :) Just, make sure you plan for lots of time. We did close to this trip over 2 weeks (not on motorcycle, but SUV pulling a camper). Beautiful trip. We didn't go up through MI, though. We went around through Chicago.

http://goo.gl/maps/1Eo8c

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Puum;

I like the route!! I've been around Lake MI 3X, once around Lake superior but your route would provide some new stuff plus a return to Niagara Falls which I saw for the 1st time this year. Thx for suggestions.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Looks like an AWESOME route! I'd like to ride that some day.

On another forum, they are doing a 50-state relay. The Michigan leg is this weekend. Wish I could do this route too, but will be lucky if I can get half of day 3 in on it.

http://goo.gl/maps/kZAgN

It's open for anyone that wants to tag along if you happen to be looking for a fun ride this weekend!

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
I'll be doing a similar trip starting 10/1. Driving from CNY to western Mi. to met up with friends, through the U.P., and down the other side of the pond and back to Mi. Stops planned for Pictured Rocks, Copper Harbor, Porcupine Mts., Sturgeon Bay, Green Bay, Milwaukee, and Chicago.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.