Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
26,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Considering buying one but would like more feedback on it, especially anyone who has tried it and had any problems or down sides.
http://www.laminarlip.com/gl.php

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,651 Posts
imported post

Looks like a lot of clutter. No experience with anything like that though.

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
imported post

Thought about getting one this summer but didn't looked like it would distort sight line in the evening sun or a night looking at headlights. But if you decide to get one would be interested in what you think of it.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
imported post

Sound like it would cause a speech impediment.

Without some clear and convincing evidence that it accomplishes something for rider comfort without obstructing vision, I wouldn't consider it.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

Yeah...........not so much.

·
Administrator
26,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

lyleapgmc wrote:
Sound like it would cause a speech impediment.

Without some clear and convincing evidence that it accomplishes something for rider comfort without obstructing vision, I wouldn't consider it.
That's what I am looking for, someone who has evidence. There are such reviews on their web site but I rather take it from someone I know, like a forum member. I like to look over the shield so I am not too worried about it obstructing my vision.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Well, it would take the focus off the ugly headlights. :)

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
imported post

Tried one on my PC-800 about a year ago, but was not impressed, as it set too low to be of much help.

Also, at least on my PC800, the fit match to the OEM w/shield shape was not proper, so the "self-adhesive" fasteners failed after less than a 20 min ride.

Was not impressed, but was pleased that a refund was issued after some discussion about the lack of fitment, etc...;)

·
Administrator
26,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Well I got it and put it on yesterday, so far the jury is still out. We went for a 77 mile ride this afternoon and it seemed to cut down the wind noise some but I'll have to go for a longer ride and take it off, ride a while and put it back on to be able to really compare.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

Sorry I was late to reply to this. I tried the laminar lip on my windshield on a previous bike, the VTX 1300 with NC windshield. It did not help at all. Still tons of buffeting to top of helmet. Sent it back for refund.
Eventually raised the windshield about 1.5 inches and it fixed the buffeting problem. So, though it MIGHT raise the airflow over top of the windshield some, the laminar lip is clearly less effective than raising the windshield 1.5 inches.

·
Administrator
26,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

The thing is I don't like to look through the windshield, I much prefer to look over it. I have tried raising the windshield and it makes very little difference if any even to the passenger. With the little but of riding we have been able to do since installing the lip it seems it does cut down on the wind noise in the headsets which was the main concern we had.

·
Administrator
26,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

After several months and several thousand miles I took the thing off. Tried my darndest to like it and find some good in it but actually can't tell any difference with it on or off. Looks like i wasted $100.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
imported post

I had one for three years and it came off in a tornado that hit me whilst riding. My wife insisted we get another one as she noticed the buffeting immediately without it.
I look over the screen and have an air vent fitted in the screen .

It works well for us......

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

VERY INTERESTING. . . .
WAY-way back in the late 70's I experimented with my Yamaha XS1100 windshield. Back then the fairing had an extended dash at the bottom 1/3 of the shield. Kinda like a second shield behind the shield.
What I tried was adding wedges under the shield's mounting bolts (large at bottom, thin at the top) and this allowed a small and little slower amount of air behind the shield. This air flowed up the shield on the inside then met the faster air on the outside creating a lamination of 2 air flows. What I noticed was buffeting was still there but less. The test, highly scientific, my hair was longer back then and flopped around less. :cool:
So in essence I was doing the near very same thing Laminar is doing now, only 30 years ago. Was I the for-runner? Possible, I road all over the west with this design, I'm sure someone seen it.

One thing I just remembered, my Yam-1100 fairing at 95 to 110 mph would wobble in the high speed air. With the shield raised it didn't do it. So there is something to it, but as far as I see in Laminar's shield design, it's rather small to do as much good as my larger shield did.
Another thing I just remembered (ahhh the forgot'n memories). At 145 mph the OEM shield angle the air shook the top of the shield, with it raised it didn't. Further telling me the air behind the shield was working.

Is it for everyone? More than likely not.
. . . . Picture is a representation of what I did.

Attachments

·
Administrator
26,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

daveinozbikes wrote:
I look over the screen and have an air vent fitted in the screen .
Same as me. My pillion rider never noticed any difference with or without it.

·
Administrator
26,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

That is interesting FM. I thought of putting it way down at the bottom just for grins to see what would happen but it won't fit there. No way to do the 1800 shield like you did the Yami. The vent in the windshield does cut down the buffeting some though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.