Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was watching some video's ofpeople lane spliting in California on a packedhighway. I can hardly watch it while wincing and wanting to stop the bike.

Seems like all it would take is some dude to begin a lane chane or a door opening to dump someting out. Game over.

I cannot image doing that in bumper to bumper traffic.

For those of you that can lane split legally, don't you worry about a car taking you out?

·
Premium Member
6,278 Posts
imported post

:waving:its every day life here in the UK,,hell i even taught one of you yanks to lane split while towing a trailer,, ask SB from SC,,i had him at 80ml per hr in between lanes,,,hes a better rider for it:waving:

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

lane splitting is in some cases very dangerous. especually when the cagers aren't used to it and don't pay attention. In many places throughout the world it's common place. That being said, I would not do it in the US even in cali because too many cagers don't pay enough attention over here. they are too busy texting or talking on the phone or other things.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

pinkpork wrote:
:waving:its every day life here in the UK,,hell i even taught one of you yanks to lane split while towing a trailer,, ask SB from SC,,i had him at 80ml per hr in between lanes,,,hes a better rider for it:waving:
I agree over where you are Pink / here it's not worth your life, while riding in Europe & the UK last year I have told many times here how impressed I with the riders and courtesy shown to motorcycle riders.

Here you can be 10th in a line of 10 cars & someone will cut in front of you with 10 miles clear behind you :?:?:?:?they think they are driving Sherman Tanks in a demolition derby.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

96aspencade wrote:
Here you can be 10th in a line of 10 cars & someone will cut in front of you with 10 miles clear behind you :?:?:?:?they think they are driving Sherman Tanks in a demolition derby.
yep, and it's worse in high traffic areas. I ride I-95 to work every day and I've had people look directly at me, see that i'm in the lane that they want to be in and just move over next to me, pushing me into the next lane or onto the shoulder. Here they don't care about anyone but themselves. :?:?:?

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Much rather deal with the deer :cool:

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I have done some lane splitting in CA, while riding there on a 750 cruiser. As far as I know, CA is the only place in the U.S. that allows it, and it is not considered legal even there. But it isn't illegal either, which means if you get into an accident doing it, your are probably going to be the one who gets blamed. And you can only do it about 10 mph faster than surrounding traffic, and only up to about 30 mph.

So, it only happens in very slow moving, bumper to bumper traffic. It is scary at first, and I never got used to it, but I suppose if you did it on a daily basis, you would get used to it. There are statistics (and I am not much of a believer in statistics) that show it is slightly safer than riding with traffic. The Hurt Report seems to suggest this, but lane splitting is not specifically mentioned.

David L. Hough, whose books I have read, and I have a fair degree of respect for, also suggests it is safer.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
imported post

Ive seen guys in London use the footpath to get up the road lane splitting everyone does it in the UK i have .

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

flw wrote:
I was watching some video's ofpeople lane spliting in California on a packedhighway. I can hardly watch it while wincing and wanting to stop the bike.

Seems like all it would take is some dude to begin a lane chane or a door opening to dump someting out. Game over.

I cannot image doing that in bumper to bumper traffic.

For those of you that can lane split legally, don't you worry about a car taking you out?
Come out here for a while, I'll loan you one of my GL-1200s, and we'll go play in traffic.

You'll get a feel for it. Seriously. Not kidding. At all.

In fact, I'd loan you something "narrower" like the Speed Triple, and let you follow me while on I'm a Goldwing. If I can make it you sure can.

In areas where it's legal, traffic expects it, and it's a whole different game. I would not do it in a non-lanesharing state - ever. Betweeen cars that don't expect it, and self-enforcing vigilante-style a**holes, you'd surely get hurt.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

JerryH wrote:
...... and it is not considered legal even there. But it isn't illegal either, which means if you get into an accident doing it, your are probably going to be the one who gets blamed. And you can only do it about 10 mph faster than surrounding traffic, and only up to about 30 mph.
Your information presented here is incorrect.

Yes, it is simply NOT ILLEGAL. No law dictates speed deltas like you imply, and the car is almost automatically at fault in an incident.l

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Again. You're presenting guidelines from a non profit organization and representing it as law.

Wrong.

Try again?

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
imported post

I used to lane split on my CBR1100 in Perth (West Australia) and it's pretty much the done thing by motorcyclists out here.

The biggest problem is car drivers here can't drive and change lanes properly to start with. An indicator for most is the way of announcing "I'm here" not "I plan to change lanes"....

That being said, lane splitting does improve your awareness, your judgement and your sixth sense and it makes you a better car driver too.

Nowadays, riding a Wing I hardly bother unless the traffic is stopped and there's room for me to make my way to the front of the queue at the traffic lights. I'm far too chilled out riding to be stressing myself watching idiot car drivers like a hawk and little room to move....

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
imported post

We do it in the UK. It is still a bit dodgy, especially on larger motorcycles. So long as you take care and don't get reckless, it generally works out fine.

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

WhenI lived in the big city I did it all the time, never had an issue with it, you just have to pay attention. I was on a smaller MC too, no Wing.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Here in California, a GL-1200 is the largest wing that I'd try it on. The GL-1500 is just a "scooch" too big for the space available.

An 1800? I've not got much seat time in one, but a friend of mine uses his and laneshares all the time.

Is the 1800 much narrower than a 1500??

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Lane spliting just seems to that you put all of your trust in the hands of everyone you don't know. You wouldn't trust them with your holding your wallet or cash but would for your life.

Ironic or nuts or just me?

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

flw wrote:
Lane spliting just seems to that you put all of your trust in the hands of everyone you don't know. You wouldn't trust them with your holding your wallet or cash but would for your life.

Just you. :smiler:

I understand being from a small town in Illinois not getting the concept. Even Rockford traffic doesn't even hit 5% of what we have here.

It's hard to imagine a freeway with 6 lanes + one carpool lane, and the main lanes are doing 10 mph.

The California drivers know that motorcycles can/will share lanes, and expect it. It's part of the deal of driving out here. The CHP also do it themselves, and it's fun to lead/follow CHP officers in lanesharing traffic. (Though, when I lead, I admit, I get nervous, like anyone does with an officer behind them.)

It's just how traffic moves here, and - ya gotta be in the thick of it to really understand.

The Guidelines that Jerry got from the laneshare.org site are pretty good, but a few of them don't jive with reality. (nor are any of them law. that was my sticking point...)

Few quit lanesharing at 35mph. You continue on to the speed limit. If traffic is doing 60, and the speed limit is 70, then you have an opportunity to go faster, and most take it.

As far as not exceeding the speed limit, CHP gives most everyone 10mph gratis, thus that's the "real" speed limit.

The 10mph delta cited on laneshare is a little slow. It's really more like 15mph. Too slow and you're exposing yourself to the individual drivers too long, and being inconsiderate. Too fast and you're taking on more risk, as you may have not adequately processed the movements of the drivers ahead of you well enough.

Like I said - if you end up in my corner of the world, we'll go play in traffic one day.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

rgbeard wrote:
flw wrote:

I understand being from a small town in Illinois not getting the concept. Even Rockford traffic doesn't even hit 5% of what we have here.

------

Oh we get the concept, we just don't have a Death Wish.

Well, If you are comfortable doing it in CA, & you want a challenge, come to IL. Take your chances on the Kennedy or the Dan Ryan in Chicago. Lets see how far you get.
Tip: you better have 911 on speed dial & your finger on the button. People (cagers) will do a 2 or 3 lane change without any signals & they don't care if they cut anybody off.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

galaxyhunter wrote:
rgbeard wrote:
flw wrote:

------

Oh we get the concept, we just don't have a Death Wish.

Well, If you are comfortable doing it in CA, & you want a challenge, come to IL. Take your chances on the Kennedy or the Dan Ryan in Chicago. Lets see how far you get.
Tip: you better have 911 on speed dial & your finger on the button. People (cagers) will do a 2 or 3 lane change without any signals & they don't care if they cut anybody off.
Nope - wouldn't laneshare where it's not legal. Cars aren't prepared for it - and some will take on vigilante-style justice to prove their point.

Also - sorry if my comment about small-town Illinois seemed insensitive.

I'm from small-town Illinois myself, and I think I can get away with saying it cuz I was one until a couple of decades ago.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.