Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi All,

I'm was wondering, when doing the SWR calibration on the antenna, should the SWR meter be connected at the antenna or radio coupling? Or does it matter?

TIA

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
imported post

Should really go at the CB end. That way you can tune / check for the antenna cable.

Ben

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

L8ndeb wrote:
Hi All,

I'm was wondering, when doing the SWR calibration on the antenna, should the SWR meter be connected at the antenna or radio coupling? Or does it matter?

TIA
Shouldn't really matter as long as the SWR meter is connected properly (transmitter side of the meter toward the CB and antenna side toward the antenna).

Theoretically you'll get a more accuratereading of thecondition of the antenna when the meter is connected closer to the antenna, but at 27MHz it won't make a bit of difference especially since the coax run is so short on a motorcycle.

Whichever way you do it won't make a damn bit of difference for your application.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
imported post

Won't matter at all. Only thing taht does matter is a solid connection.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

An SWR check should be done at the CB end of the cable. That way the connectors and the lenght of cable is in theequation for tuning purposes. Would not make much sence to do it at the antenna and then add in the cable and connectors. You want the SWR meter to "see" what the CB will be "seeing".

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

1984GL1200A wrote:
An SWR check should be done at the CB end of the cable. That way the connectors and the lenght of cable is in theequation for tuning purposes. Would not make much sence to do it at the antenna and then add in the cable and connectors. You want the SWR meter to "see" what the CB will be "seeing".
It doesn't matter... as long as you're using feedline with 50-ohm impedance and its not defective. In terms of getting the most out of your antenna its better to do it at the antenna. But as I said before, at 27 MHz and a short feedline you won't see a difference. Whatever is easiest to access is what I would use.

At much higher frequencies like VHF or UHF there's a lot of difference. Using a long length of high-loss coax such as RG58you'd see a low SWR even if the end of the coax is not connected to anything!

We did demonstration at a ham club meeting a few years back with 100' of RG58 at 145MHz. Antenna connected we got 1:1 SWR, antenna disconnected we also got 1:1 SWR. The loss was so great in the feedline that it didn't matter if an antenna was connected or not! Underthose conditions it was impossible to measure SWR of the antenna without connecting the SWR meter at the antenna side.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.