Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi there guys and gals,

Well, I may make last minute plans to go to Montrose, but I'm a little worried about riding all the way from Dallas to Montrose, about 16 hours, which will be two full days. I guess maybe some of you can give me some ideas and guidance. Here's a couple of questions:

Does anybody know if there are any vacancies in the area? I'm not really into camping, did that in the military for 25 years.

Is there anybody going to Montrose that is going through Dallas or vicinity? Looking at the map with members attending, I didn't see anybody coming from the Dallas area.

It's a long way to ride alone.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

I imagine there are vacancies as there seems to be quite a few hotels. We got a little cabin at a RV park as my bod has a hard time with the ground. I hope someone can pick ya up along the way and ride in together . Id like to see ya make it. JB

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

I think JBz is right about plenty of motels. And there just may be some more cancelations that we don't know about. So I would bet you wouldn't have much if any trouble getting a room.

As far as riding alone,,,,,,,, it's not all bad really. Youmight be surpisedat how nice folks are toward a lone rider. I'm in Pa. and rode out there last year solo. I was also concerned some. But after the first few days, I was glad to be able to go at my own pace and make my own decisions. I didn't have to have long drugout discussions with myself,,,,,,,, it was short:cheeky1:

You can do it,,,,,, be safe, and hope to see you there.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Yup, as Winger just mentioned, riding solo is a good way to travel. Far better than a group of riders, IMHO.

I'll be riding solo for 2 weeks to get there and am not concerned about it. If you are concerned about the bike breaking down en route, just go over it well before the trip, making sure she is in tip top condition.

There have been a few cancellations so check out the hotels in this thread and make sure you mention you are with the NASSIR group to get the better rate.

See ya there! :waving:

Dusty

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Thanks guys for the inputs. Haven't made the final decsion yet, but I do need to get away.:cooldevil:

The riding alone doesn't bother me so much, and I'm not really worried about the breaking down thing. I think that just the idea of 4 full days of riding to get there and back seems a little overwhelming. If I was retired - retired, there wouldn't be a question.

Maybe...:action:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

You got to get out more and put some long days in the saddle, BK!!! :D

I wasn't retired last year when I rode down to Calhoun, GA, for NASSIR I, using this route: http://tinyurl.com/p2yslm

I rode solo until I hooked up with ponymanr at a truck stop in Cameron MO,my 4th day out. He had contacted me before the trip becauselike you, he wanted to hook up with some other riders to make the trip down. Black GW had contacted me as welland wanted to meet by Marion IL.Ended up we hooked up with quite a few other riders by chance, that day and next, numbering 10 or 11 in all, by the time we hit Calhoun. :shock:

After NASSIR I, I took this route home, riding solo the entire way: http://tinyurl.com/oy7fjy

If you stay off the Super Slabs, the ride is a lot more scenic/interesting. ;) :action:

Dusty :byebye:

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
imported post

Big Kahuna wrote:
Thanks guys for the inputs. Haven't made the final decsion yet, but I do need to get away.:cooldevil:

The riding alone doesn't bother me so much, and I'm not really worried about the breaking down thing. I think that just the idea of 4 full days of riding to get there and back seems a little overwhelming. If I was retired - retired, there wouldn't be a question.

Maybe...:action:
Go For It Big Kahuna, four days of ridin is good for the soul!!! Riding solo is a good time to reflect, don't have to make anyone happy but yourself. Go for IT! No regrets.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Just go for it... I've done many solo long-distance trips and never had a problem. I'll be riding a sport bike from Maryland to Montrose - hope I can stand up straight when I get there ;) .

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

a word here about some thing i havent seen brought up------YELLOW streamers for montrose ID .i will have mine on.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

WELL?????????

Are ya coming ???????????? :baffled::D

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

wda-83wing wrote:
a word here about some thing i havent seen brought up------YELLOW streamers for montrose ID .i will have mine on.
Wayne, show him your route you and Johnny are taking, maybe he can get with you two on the way.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Winger77 wrote:
WELL?????????

he said last minute and it ain't that time yet!!:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
Winger77 wrote:
WELL?????????

he said last minute and it ain't that time yet!!:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:
Geeeeeesssshhhhhhhhhh,,,,,,,,,,,, details,,,, :cool: :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
imported post

Well???? Ya Coming?

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
imported post

I am also making last minute plans to make plans to possibly head to Montrose.

Where is the sign up sheet found?

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
imported post

Living that close, ya Gotta Go! See Ya there or on the road!

PM Wexy and Swampfoxcws (Wilton): Wexy for attendance and if you contact Wilton about the dinner & T-shirts - it might not be too late - yesterday was the deadline for those.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
imported post

clpete wrote:
I am also making last minute plans to make plans to possibly head to Montrose.
Heck yeah, you gotta go! I'm probably coming right past you on Sunday. I'm meeting up with exavid and his brother and if we meet up in Delta, I'm probably coming down 84 from Boise.

John

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
imported post

Sorry guys and gals, I'm not going to be able to make it this year, hopefully next year.

·
Premium Member
20,619 Posts
imported post

Sorry you're not going to make it Big K......:(

And on another note, I just amended my plans and called the Best Western and added a couple days to my stay on the front end. (Arriving Monday, Leaving Friday:jumper:) They said that they still have rooms for this event. :cooldevil:

So if you're not coming because you don't think you can get a room this late..........come on and let's ride!!!! :action::action::action:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.