Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Are any of you running the Dunlop K177's? I THINK??? I have it narrowed down to another set of BS's or the Dunlop K177's.

Thank you all so VERY MUCH who responded to my firstpost aboutmy tires.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
imported post

Bridgestones for me, I find they grip better in the wet and are a bit quieter.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
imported post

Just out of idle curiosity, what has been the experience here regarding other brands of tires? Pirelli, Avon, Metezeler, etc.

It seems the consensus here is Dunlop, altho some variance of opinion about which one.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

To be honest I never liked bike tires for all the years I used to ride and still didn't when I started riding again last year. I just never had any choice till now.

With my 1500 I have gone to the darkside!
I just started running an Austone Taxi Tire on mine!
I only rode about 300 miles on it so far but have nothing bad to say about it yet!

I like it far better than the good E3 I took off. Handles better for me, no noise, I rode in the rain and was fine and felt safer on it.
I never rode that good or hard in the twisties, but with the taxi tire I found I could run a bit harder with better handling and taking curves I ride often a bit more aggressive with better control.

I've had several problems with bike tires including a Bridgestone cracking up for no reason about or under 5k.
I don't think I'll have that problem with the Taxi Tire.

It is shaped a bit rounder than a normal car tire so handles more like a bike tire also with good tread on the sides as well. I think the foot print on the road may be about equal to the E3 on turns and better on straights running flat.
I ran though a wet spot on road and saw the thin foot print of the E3 before I change tires. I was surprised the E3 was not a wider contact area.

I don't like the thin soft bike tires for patches or plugs, but I would have no concerns repairing the Taxi Tire (or most car tires) if I picked up a nail. I have never had a plug fail on a tire yet on cars or trucks. If it seals the hole when put in it has lasted the life of the tire. So I have less worries about road hazards.

I have had tires cut by rocks and plugs not seal the cuts, so plugs don't always work when used, but if they seal when put in they last.

Since I live on a road with some twisties, and my shop is is past a couple sharp twisties also and decent hills, it only took me about 10 miles to see I liked the way the Taxi handles better than the E3 I took off. Almost 300 miles on it and I still like it! Twisties and straight Highway, it's all good!
Should be going for about or over a 200 mile ride today, more twisties and more highway.

It's an option is all I am saying, may not be everyones tire, but it's worth looking into and doing some research on. From my limited experience with it so far I think it is a better tire and probably safer tire in many ways than a bike tire.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

The original poster is attempting to choose from two, so why are other tires mentioned in this thread?

BTW: I have it narrowed down to the same two.

Bill

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
imported post

The LAST tire question. That will never happen! :ROFL:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,142 Posts
imported post

Please stick with the OP's request.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Never mind

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Never mind

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

Chromo wrote:
......Well, we don't know why it was narrowed down to just those two and maybe he never heard of some of the other decent options, though of course he may not be interested in them either, at least he will know they exist.....

This is an easy one: as of when I posted this the OP has 7 posts, AND MAKES MENTIONthat he has another thread on a related topic. So, if we click on his user name:

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/users/37664.html

Then on his posts:

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_user.php?id=37664&posts=1

We find:

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/123005-1.html

It seems that he startedTHIS thread knowing there are other tires out there, but wanted opinions on only two here. He might not know what stations I have programed into my radio, but that does not mean I should post that info in this thread.

BTW: Why didyou quote just ME? A site manager said just about the same thing I did.

Bill

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

samsdad42 wrote:
Are any of you running the Dunlop K177's? I THINK??? I have it narrowed down to another set of BS's or the Dunlop K177's.

Thank you all so VERY MUCH who responded to my firstpost aboutmy tires.

Mike
I have a Dunlop K177 on the back. Intent is to run it 'till worn and replace w car tire. I've been pleasantly surprised with this tire actually. I took a trip (with friends) out to the Rockies this summer. The tire performed very well... much better than I thought it would. Quite confidence inspiring actually, both in wet or dry, and I was pushing quite hard at times, and wasn't packed light either. The K177 wears well too. I had a Dunlop E3 up front, which replaced a completely worn K177. I liked the E3 very much too... lots about 'em on other threads.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

77Pinto wrote:
Chromo wrote:
......Well, we don't know why it was narrowed down to just those two and maybe he never heard of some of the other decent options, though of course he may not be interested in them either, at least he will know they exist.....

This is an easy one: as of when I posted this the OP has 7 posts, AND MAKES MENTIONthat he has another thread on a related topic. So, if we click on his user name:

BTW: Why didyou quote just ME? A site manager said just about the same thing I did.

Bill
Just the first one I came to I guess?

Anyway I'll jump out of this thread, I don't really have much good to say about either brand myself.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.