Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, my Dad passed away last december and now that we're finally coming to the end of all the paperwork and hoops to jump through for taking care of his estate, we're looking at what to do with his 04 GL1800 with a roadsmith trike kit. It won't start. Won't even turn over. Battery is good, lights come on, I can hear the relay click when I hit the button, but all the lights go completely out as long as i'm holding it and the starter motor doesn't turn. It was left sitting with the reverse switch on after the last time he rode it, but I can hear the reverse engage and disengage if i toggle it on and off. I tried rocking the bike back and forth in case the starter motor was stuck, no joy. I'm betting on a dead starter, and I'm also betting replacing it is a real pain.

Does anyone know any other things that might be the cause? If not, does anybody know what kind of cost I would be looking at to have a shop fix it, and is it worth it to get that done before selling it or should we just sell it as-is? I'm not aware of it having any other problems, but it's not my bike and I can't exactly ask, so I don't know for sure.

·
Administrator
21,846 Posts
The lights going out is a good thing. They are supposed to when the starter button is depressed. Are you sure the kill switch is in the correct position?

I have seen starter buttons do this. The light switch part connects but the starter part doesn't. Easy to check that, spray some WD-40 around the button while pressing it several times.

Those two things are the most likely suspects.

Except...the battery. I've seen them run the lights, show 12 volts and still be dead when subjected to a real power draw.

·
Administrator
24,354 Posts
If not the afore mentioned kill switch (which is only chrome plated if a chrome cover has been added), is the (N) light on and the (R) light off? Have you tried pulling in the clutch?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kill switch is on run (come on guys, just cause this isn't my bike doesn't mean I don't have a bike - mine's a GL1200 I bought from a neglectful owner and embraced the rattiness), bike is in neutral, reverse is off. I can hear a relay click kind of behind and under me on the left side. One solid click, then nothing.

·
Magic Moderator
4,208 Posts
May I ask, how old is the battery?
It's a bad habit with trike owners to use reverse as a parking brake and when the battery doesn't have the juice to disengage it you have a locked situation.

·
Administrator
24,354 Posts
kill switch is on run (come on guys, just cause this isn't my bike doesn't mean I don't have a bike - .
It wouldn't be the first time someone overlooked that, me included. Check the #12 fuse.

·
Just one of the guys
4,773 Posts
You say the battery is good, but, were it me, I would put a set of jumper cables on it from a car or truck battery just for giggles.

You could also try putting it in reverse and rocking it back and forth a little while holing the button, if it is a frozen starter that might bump it loose. Just don’t get real harsh if you try this, just gently bump it so nothing else breaks.

·
New Sidecar guy
66 Posts
Put a volt meter on the battery. Should read close to 13 Volts. Turn the key on and hit the start button while watching the Volt meter. That should give an idea of the state of the battery.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Put a volt meter on the battery. Should read close to 13 Volts. Turn the key on and hit the start button while watching the Volt meter. That should give an idea of the state of the battery.

I agree. The bike needs at least 10 volts when trying to start. Try cleaning the battery connections also. A little corrosion will act like a bad battery.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
My 06 wing had a similar problem. Ended up being a loose connection at the solenoid (located to the right of the battery, behind the trunk). It can be accessed by removing the battery. Tight reach, but you can check for looseness. Best of Luck!

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
You said it would not rock back and forth. It could be hydro locked from fuel in a cylinder or two. Pull the spark plugs and turn kill switch off and put a large rag over each bank. It should crank. Do not stand to the sides near the plug holes the gas will come out with great force and blow over everything.

·
Administrator
24,354 Posts
You said it would not rock back and forth. It could be hydro locked from fuel in a cylinder or two. Pull the spark plugs and turn kill switch off and put a large rag over each bank. It should crank. Do not stand to the sides near the plug holes the gas will come out with great force and blow over everything.
Not likely with fuel injection and 1800s won't crank with the kill switch off.

·
Premium Member
3,267 Posts
Sorry, I had GL1500 on my mind. Even though I read it I am working on an 1500.:frown2:
Also, the later model 1500s won't try to start with the kill switch off like the earlier ones did either. I think they changed that in either 97 or 98.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts