Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi there folks! I'm about 6 weeks late on getting my 97 1500 put away for winter. I was going to put it on the center stand, add some stabilizer to the gas and run it through for about 15 minutes and then pull the negitive cable and put a battery tender on the gel battery. Anything else that absolutley has to be done? Oil only has 200 miles on it.

Do I need to drain the carbs? Is there a way to do that, or is it neeeded?

Getting new tires in the spring, radiator flush, new timing belts, progressive springs on front with new seals and bushings.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i wouldnt worry about draining the carbs its only going to set for a few months just pull the batt neg cable put the tender on it once a month or so cover it up and put mouse traps all around it

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I wouldn't drain the carbs either as long as you have stabilizer in them they should be okay. If you have a proper battery tender on the disconnected battery it shouldn't hurt it to leave it on.Be sure to pat her on the fender at least once a week and tell her how good it will be to ride again in the spring, you don't want a testy Goldwing.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

exavid wrote:
I wouldn't drain the carbs either as long as you have stabilizer in them they should be okay. If you have a proper battery tender on the disconnected battery it shouldn't hurt it to leave it on.Be sure to pat her on the fender at least once a week and tell her how good it will be to ride again in the spring, you don't want a testy Goldwing.
Ha ha! Good idea. I have been starting it and letting it run for about 20 minutes once a week because I was so busy I just didn't take time to winterize. Maybe I was hoping for that one last ride. With over 3 feet of snow on the ground here, it doesn't look like I will be riding anytime soon. Already counting the days until April!!

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Keep an eye open for a Feb thaw and get the snow suit on and get er out!

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Newday777, Not a whole lot of thawing usually going on here in the frozen tundra in February. Plus, there is so much sand, salt and gravel on the road until the first few spring rains. I might go to AZ in March, and I did conside renting a wing for a day while I am there.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Thats what we would be waiting for in NH. Yes lots of salt and sand there too, and frost heaves. Had to get back before dark so the water wouldn't freeze on the roads.
I remember having to ride home in 5" of snow one April, 50 @ 7am, late morning snow was coming down big heavy flakes and piled up fast. Took 45 min to go 9 miles. Slipin and a slidin. We ended up with 2' of heavy wet snow that storm then ice, lots of broken tree limbs. Lost power for 4 days on a main numbered road. Enjoying the winters here, ride on over when you go for that ride, just north of San Diego on the coast. Lots of great riding roads in the mountains around here. Be happy to get together and ride. :byebye:

Merry Christmas

Stu

·
751 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Don`t just pat the fender get alittle personal with her Do some cleaning & some cleaning like the wheels maybe even have them recleared that way she`ll be good with you in the spring !

·
Administrator
22,366 Posts
imported post

MNSNOWMAN wrote:
Newday777, Not a whole lot of thawing usually going on here in the frozen tundra in February. Plus, there is so much sand, salt and gravel on the road until the first few spring rains. I might go to AZ in March, and I did conside renting a wing for a day while I am there.
Just to let you know, Snowman. I've ridden in heavy blizzard conditions, here in Arizona...IN JUNE!

But if you do come down in March, let me know. I'll see if I can find some ice-free riding for you.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

MNSNOWMAN wrote:
I have been starting it and letting it run for about 20 minutes once a week because I was so busy I just didn't take time to winterize. Maybe I was hoping for that one last ride. With over 3 feet of snow on the ground here, it doesn't look like I will be riding anytime soon. Already counting the days until April!!
It's really best not to run it up at all unless you can run it long enough to bring all components up to normal operating temps for 20-30 minutes which probably requires a 30-40 minute run in cold weather. Making short engine runs during cold weather can result in condensation in the engine's internal surfaces which isn't great for it. Best to make sure the oil and filter are fresh or nearly so, put some Sea Foam or Stabil or other fuel preservative in the tank and run it long enough to get the carbs filled with the mixture.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

If its in a heated garage , ok , if not i would remove the battery and store it in a warm place with the tender.
Also , check the strenght of your coolant to assure its good for low temps. Any car parts store has coolant testers for 5 bucks or so.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
imported post

Make sure the gas tank is filled, put it on the centerstand, and hook a battery charger up. I like to put a little Stabil in the gas, and go for a short ride, maybe to fill the gas tank up.
Tom Bishop
``98 S.E.

·
Premium Member
4,244 Posts
imported post

what is this frozen tundra bit? 1 outside football game in how many years? style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c6e1d7" :tongue:

i got mine away a little late this year to but what was strange it kind of tinkled on the floor of my brand newtrailer this was a first it never did this before when i parked it in the garage

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

They don't like being left alone outa site. Kinda like leaving your dog home alone, gets on the bed and in the garbage then dumps on the floor with the runs from the garbage. Or eats momma's chocolates for the christmas party!
BAD DOG!

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
imported post

I know everyone has an opinion about storage so I'll toss this one out for discussion since it is somewhat related. I read that it isn't good to store the bike on the center stand because it pulls on the suspension system. What's everyone's thoughts on that ? For what it's worth mine is on the center stand.

·
Administrator
22,366 Posts
imported post

LSC9901 wrote:
I know everyone has an opinion about storage so I'll toss this one out for discussion since it is somewhat related. I read that it isn't good to store the bike on the center stand because it pulls on the suspension system. What's everyone's thoughts on that ? For what it's worth mine is on the center stand.
Taking the weight off the suspension and tires is a good thing. If I were to leave a bike unridden for awhile, I'd also put a jack stand under the motor toget the front elevated.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.