Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all

I am fairly new to this forum. i havea 1997 1500 SE trike and was experiencing problems with the Cruse Control not allowing me to set it above 68 MPH. Well in the search forwhat may be the problem i found a web sight http://www.Goldwingworld.comthat addresses this problem in detail. it appears that the Cruse is designed to not set above 80 MPH. Well the trike conversion and the different rear end ratio causes the engine to run faster than it would if it were a bike. yep that's right the max cruse setting is determined partly by engine speed not road speed.the cruse will set only in 4th and 5th gears but the cruse can be set to 80 MPH ineither gear. The web sight tells how to swap the wires indicating whether the transmission is in4th or 5th gear.The reason for this is the engine has to run at a much higher RPM in 4th gear to get to 80 MPH than it does in 5th gear. and by telling theCruseControl unit that you are in4th and not 5th it will let you set the cruse at a much higher speed than 80 MPH. all that is required is to swap two wires detailedon the web sight. The wires are located after the ECU so it does not affect the way the engine runsit only affects the informationgoing to the Cruse Control Unit.

I made the swap and now i can set my Cruse as high as 90 MPHor more i stopped at 90 just testing. this will work on regular bikes as well if any one has the need to Cruse at a little higher rate of speed.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Good. But, what about setting the cruise at the 40mph lower setting.

What is now your lowest cruise setting, and how do they compare between 4th and 5th engagement?

But, I thought the cruise was tied into the speedometer. A bouncing needle affected the system, right?

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

This won't work on the early 1500's because they only sniff a speedometer sensor, and not the engine rpm. The 93> has both signals to sniff, hence the ability to trick the cruise ecu into thinking it's still in 4th. I often wondered if a later cruise module could be shoe-horned into the early bike, and make it sniff the engine rpm. I never persued that idea, tho.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Like Bob says.. only works for late model 1500s.. The direct connectlink eventually gets buried in some dead thread.. so repeating it HERE... for the benefit of all... and diagram below..

Above was written in 2002, andfor the record, here is another thread on this forumon the same issue from 2006.

And still another here, as well as possiblyanearlier source of the modification back in 2001 (probably not original)

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

As soon as this runs it's course, I'll move it to the Ref & FAQ forum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.