Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from my Honda dealer--enquired about new tires for my GL1800. My E-3's have lasted almost 18k miles, and I like them okay. However, the price for a new set has gone up more than $100. The Bridgestone Exedras have only increased in price about $20 in 2 1/2 years. So what do you experts recommend? Most of my riding is local (less than 100 miles at a time) and always solo. I do not pull a trailer.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Just got back from my Honda dealer--enquired about new tires for my GL1800. My E-3's have lasted almost 18k miles, and I like them okay. However, the price for a new set has gone up more than $100. The Bridgestone Exedras have only increased in price about $20 in 2 1/2 years. So what do you experts recommend? Most of my riding is local (less than 100 miles at a time) and always solo. I do not pull a trailer.
Tire prices ..for a rear Dunlop E3 tire here in Canada at my local bike shop they wanted $399.00 :shock:
online at canadasmotorcycle ..free shipping in Canada identical E3
$ 246.00:claps:
one needs to shop around online and you will be surprised at the price differences
I still by stuff at my local Honda dealer but if it's a big ticket item ..I'll shop around

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
A bud of mine just put a set of the Bridgestones on his Valkarie...loves 'em. I rode it and they felt/sounded/handled great. Can't vouch for their longevity.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
For those of you in the USA, I don't understand why you pay that for these things.

Buy them online and take them to a shop for mounting.

http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=33_120_131
I don't know if my dealer (Honda) just likes me, but those tires are only five dollars cheaper than I'd pay for them here. Great price, no hassles.
And I agree, a great number of places will come very close to matching internet prices. But you have to ask.......

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,324 Posts
For handling, grip and ride quality I've always found Bridgestone to be better than Dunnies. Longevity may, or may not match, but it's close.
The problem with the 'Stones lately seems to be splitting rear tires.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
For handling, grip and ride quality I've always found Bridgestone to be better than Dunnies. Longevity may, or may not match, but it's close.
The problem with the 'Stones lately seems to be splitting rear tires.
And delamination. YMMV

John

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Have not been caught in the rain yet, but the new rear Michelin commander II is doing well. its quieter than the perelli, doesn't skid when testing full braking (and in fairness, that could be the other tire was nearing its life end at 5000 miles)
doesn't track grooves, that is to say it tracks the grooves with the best tires I've owned- no scary side lunging...dunlops being the worse chasers I've owned.
so......there lol

·
12,841 Posts
..... rear Michelin commander II is doing well....
They don't make a rear tire compatible with the GL1500 or GL1800 and officially on their website they don't make one compatible for any Goldwing, although the Commander II does have the proper size and load rating for the GL1200.

John

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
They don't make a rear tire compatible with the GL1500 or GL1800 and officially on their website they don't make one compatible for any Goldwing, although the Commander II does have the proper size and load rating for the GL1200.
John

thats true, I emailed michelin and got a reply- they say I'm covered, they need to update the site.
The load range 74 is 827, I over-guesstimated my two passenger max load around at 1200 pounds, realistically its 1100 with minor overnight bags, 827 is well over the suggested weight load split. I'll never tow anything.
tire was made later last year, made sure of that.
The technology is what sold me- 90 thread ply vs. 71. the various internet reports, etc.
the tread design is similar to the old perellis and those sailed thru the heaviest rains I've been in yet.
I have less than 200 miles on them, but they. are. quiet. I'm really liking that.
4th gear, 40mph (combined withe new exhaust gaskets) I can here the high pitched wing whistling over the control cables...wow thats a new noise.

·
12,841 Posts
thats true, I emailed michelin and got a reply- they say I'm covered, they need to update the site.
The load range 74 is 827, I over-guesstimated my two passenger max load around at 1200 pounds, realistically its 1100 with minor overnight bags, 827 is well over the suggested weight load split. I'll never tow anything.
tire was made later last year, made sure of that.
The technology is what sold me- 90 thread ply vs. 71. the various internet reports, etc.
the tread design is similar to the old perellis and those sailed thru the heaviest rains I've been in yet.
I have less than 200 miles on them, but they. are. quiet. I'm really liking that.
4th gear, 40mph (combined withe new exhaust gaskets) I can here the high pitched wing whistling over the control cables...wow thats a new noise.
I've been watching and waiting still hoping they will have a replacement for the Pilot GT's, but sadly they have not. :sadguy:

John

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
I went to an Excedra on the front of my 1500 when I put an Austone on the rear. I am impressed by the ride and performance, especially the grip in the rain. It seems to be wearing very well also. I would certainly give it a try.

·
New Guy
791 Posts
I don't know if my dealer (Honda) just likes me, but those tires are only five dollars cheaper than I'd pay for them here. Great price, no hassles.
And I agree, a great number of places will come very close to matching internet prices. But you have to ask.......
yep. just bought and had installed a set of these yesterday. my dealer prices were a bit higher but not by much ... in / out in < 2 hrs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.