Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Does anybody know if you can lay a 2012 over ( without damage) to change the rear wheel in the same manner as earlier 1800s?
I think that the bags are a little wider and I wonder if the rear crash bars would protect in the same way.
Sorry if this has been talked about before.
Thanks
Paul

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Yea
I have seen them also.
I havealso layed over my 2007 many times.
But the question is "Does anybody know if you can lay a 2012 over ( without damage) to change the rear wheel in the same manner as earlier 1800s?"

Maybe I should ask "have you done so yourself?"

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

OOPs!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I tried it last month on my garage floor and couldn't get the tire all the way out from under the bike that way. Maybe deflated it could have come out but it just didn't have enough clearance. On the road if you were on dirt or gravel it might be possible to dig a small hole under the tire to get the necessary clearance. Be careful with the rear crash bar it's not quite as strong as it looks. I padded the bars when I laid my bike down which kept them about 1/2" off the floor, if the bars were on the ground that half inch might have allowed the tire to come out from under. The saddlebags didn't hit the floor on my bike but were close. Be careful when lowering the bike by yourself as I did because it want's to go down the last few inches pretty fast. I used the 'butt first' technique and could control the drop reasonably well but be warned the bike gains a LOT of weight as it comes down.

DISREGARD - I WAS REFERRING TO A PRE 2012 MODEL

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Good point, I didn't pull out the center stand. Now I'm going to have to try it again on my '01.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Ouch!!. I never fail to cringe when I see that. A new $30K bike laying on it's side. I would be willing to tear the whole back end off the bike to get the wheel off before doing that. One neat thing about the Goldwing is that it STILL has a centerstand. It is probably the ONLY Japanese bike that does. So you can remove the rear wheel with it on the centerstand. But out on the road, I would think you could repair most flats with just a plug and some way to inflate it, due to it's tubeless tires.

I read in a Harley owners manual maybe 20 years ago that laying the bike on it's side was the factory recommended way of removing the wheel, because they have no centerstand. No way am I going to buy a brand new bike of any brand and lay it on it's side on purpose. I would literally be crying if that were my bike laying there.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

You can cry all you want, it's your party but it doesn't hurt the 'Wing. Deliberate lay down of the bike is generally done on soft ground or on a pad and a good bit slower than the other kind which also happens. As it's said there's two kinds of riders, those who have and those that lie about it.:action:

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
I swapped my 02 bags for a set of 12 bags and I had to swap the final drive out a couple weeks ago. Its REALLY close, but the bags dont touch the ground.

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
I swapped my 02 bags for a set of 12 bags and I had to swap the final drive out a couple weeks ago. Its REALLY close, but the bags dont touch the ground.
So the 2012 bags fit on earlier models, huh ?:claps:

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
A jack from sears is $199,- , if that is too much you can even get one for $99,-. I for one use the jack and have no problems changing the rear wheel, nor any risk of hurting my back....

Just sayin....

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
harbor freight has a good cheap bike/atv jack which would be a safer option i think and cheaper than body repair and a chiropractors visit

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
I am sure there is a perfectly good rational reason to intentionally lay a bike on its side, but I just can't ever see me doing it just to make working on the bike easier. IMO there are too many other options available to accomplish the maintenance that needs to be done that don't involve potentially damaging other parts of the bike. If I walked into a shop and saw a mechanic working on a bike that was lying on its side, I would certainly not ever go back there... but that is just me.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
i got 30,000 in my 2012 with all the add on's, if its on the ground its because i forgot the kick stand. i bought a lift that you can remove the rear base of it. tire will drop straight out of there. and you don't have to get down on your knees.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
I have a lift in the garage. It worked great for changing tires on my 1200 and 1500. The 1800, with its single sided swingarm and 5 lugnuts like a car, its a 20 minute job, laying it on the side. It doesnt hurt anything, as you walk it down, replace tire and walk it back up.

Demo'd here:

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
That just goes against my grain. Would you roll your car onto its side or roof to change the tires? But again, that is just how I am.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
That just goes against my grain. Would you roll your car onto its side or roof to change the tires? But again, that is just how I am.
I was REALLY skeptical as well when I heard people talking about. I thought that was the craziest thing. But, with having to remove the hitch, the rear fender, and trailer (plus other) wiring from the previous owner, the lay down method is FAR easier to do. It doesnt hurt anything besides leaking a little fuel if its over 1/2 tank. The guy in the video though, should have had it in gear to do the lifting and lowering, it rolled backwards on him. I make sure its clicked into first before lowering, neutral for spinning the lug nuts off, then back into gear before lifting. Its definitely not for the faint of heart. I was REALLY nervous doing it for the first time. Now its second nature. ;)

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
It's worth to buy a bike lift. Not only to get wheels off but to do so many other things. $800 or less.
Don't risk scratching a $25K bike.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.