Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I think it is a good thing that a hard shell helmet will bounce and slide on asphalt, concrete, grass in the ditch etc.

Rubber soled boots on a race bike will cause you to break your leg or ankle, so you have metal soles or inserts so the sole will slide.

Maybe a helmet that grabs, would break your neck? Rather than bounce and slide down the road?

Just a though, was my first reaction.

Kit

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
imported post

I have to agree with Kit, I would rather my helmet skid down the road with me, rather than hold to the road and seperate my head from my body. wouldn't be able to think of next reaction after that.:D

·
Premium Member
2,169 Posts
imported post

Very interesting concept GSMacLean. Nice find.

Kit and Knucklebucket raise good points, but I guess it would al depend HOW you hit the road.
If it was head first, I'm sure a conventional helmet would slide on to help the rider.
But if the body hit first, wouldn't that SuperSkin help to lessen the bounce and twist that normally occurs (as the video shows)

I would assume that the moveable skin would not 'grab' the road as Kit and Knucklebucket suggest, but cushions the impact somewhat.

From what I can gather from that article, it doesn't say what the membrane is made of (we are only assuming it's some type of rubber), andit is not actually stuck to the helmet, more just stretched over it and fixed at the edges.
If that's the case, if it did 'grab' the road it would more than likely shred off rather than tear your head off.

Like all things new, it will eventually come down to price for the consumer.

On a side note, I was intrigued by these http://www.reevu.com/but I have yet to see them in use.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,907 Posts
imported post

Well they are claiming that these superskin helmets DO slide instead of catch, they there is les rotation than with conventional helmets.

The super skin helmet is the metal sole boot and the conventional helmet is the rubber sole.

At least that is their claim...I want to see it on asphalt before I'll put nay faith in it though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.