Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I'm a new owner of a 1983 Aspencade. When I bought the bike the LCD instrument gauges (Speedometer, Tach, Water temp etc) was not working. the volt gauge above the LCD gauge works. the previous owner bought and replaced the LCD gauge assembly with another used one but it does not work ethier. Any help would be greatly appreciated not sure where to start troubleshooting.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
imported post

I replaced a couple fuse behind the front left blinker indicator and that fixed mine. Just take the blinker lens off with the 2 screws and it's behind there.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

Welcome bennyhill and hondavidson to the forum from North Central Texas!
The Voltage gauge is wired in with the fairing wiring. The LCD Assembly is wired into the main bike harness.
Do any of the indicators for the left and right turn signals, oil pressure, High Beam, and neutral work? In other words, bulbs that are mounted in the LCD Assembly?
There are connectors for the LCD Assembly locatedbehind the steering counterweight. One or more could be unplugged.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Yes the indicator lights work Oil, High Beam, Turn signals and Neutral do work. The temp,tach and speedometer do not work. I checked the fuses as mentioned above but they were all good.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

Could be two bad LCDs but doubtful.
First make sure the connectors to the LCD located behind the steering counterweight areclean and connected.
Then buy the manual and use the troubleshooting information for the 1983 GL 1100A LCD.
The time troubleshooting will be worth it when you are able to hit the road with everything working correctly.:clapper:

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:Check the "engine fuse" on the main fuse panel as this might be what's causing your problem.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

83GoldWinger wrote:
:waving:Check the "engine fuse" on the main fuse panel as this might be what's causing your problem.
I looked at that fuse too. The Engine, 10 amp, fuse supplies 12 volts to the Neutral Light, Oil Pressure Light, and Air compressor.
I still don't have an understanding of why Honda calls that fuse an 'Engine' Fuse.
I think he will have to run through the troubleshooting steps outlined in the manual if all the connectors for the LCD are OK.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

I changed all that I could find. All the indicator lights are working but no fuel,temp,tach,speedo.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

Yesterday I dropped the fairing and removed the steering weight to trace wires. I attempted to follow the schematics but not great at electrical issues. I did clean all the connectors I could find though, still now go. I'm not sure, but when I turned the ignition switch to lock, I thought I noticed the tach and fuel gauge light up. I tried duplicating this but no luck. do you think a bad ignition switch might cause the fuel,tach,speedo not to work?

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

Did you solve this issue? I recently purchased an 83 Aspencade and solved my electrical issues with the LCD panel over labor day. Let me know if you need help.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,505 Posts
imported post

jimpete wrote:
Did you solve this issue? I recently purchased an 83 Aspencade and solved my electrical issues with the LCD panel over labor day. Let me know if you need help.
Your 1st post and allready you're offering help?!!!:shock:You Sir are VERY Welcome to the Site!! :clapper::clapper:

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
imported post

I have a similar problem where my whole display suddenly goes blank then re-appears and I think it's down to a faulty ignition swith as I can remove the key with the engine running.
I'm currently reading the wiring diagram for clues. It has to be something like this as the engine keeps going smoothly when the dash fails. It's only happened in daylight so I don't know if the lights fail at the same time.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

The first thing to try is clean the contacts where the fuses meet the metal. By now, you may have already lost the fuse cover or maybe it has seen some extra moisture. We try the easiest stuff first. I took out my dremel and used it to clean the contacts but a piece of emery cloth will do just fine.

If that does not help, do as everyone has suggested and dig into the wire connectors behind the weight on the fork. Follow the set of wires from the key into the box and disconnect that connector. Take an OHM meter and check the output from the key. Jiggle the key while connected to the red and each of the other pins. Note the "O" on the attached diagram represents "on" in each of the key positions. This should tell you if the ignition switch is the problem. If this is fine then let me know and I'll walk you through the two connectors that power the LCD Dashboard.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
re: 83 Aspencade LCD display is blank

<snip> Jiggle the key while connected to the red and each of the other pins. Note the "O" on the attached diagram represents "on" in each of the key positions. This should tell you if the ignition switch is the problem. If this is fine then let me know and I'll walk you through the two connectors that power the LCD Dashboard.
OK, I'll bite. Tell us about the two connectors that power the LCD dashboard module. Hint: the 83 has four single-row connectors: two black, and two brown.

[ background: my 83 'Cade LCD is sitting on the kitchen table, readied for exploratory surgery, in order to determine where and how the power comes in. If this has already been determined, might save me some time, pain, and effort! ]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.