Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

OK - Finally got the new OEM water pump and seal kit it, installed today. The good news is that everything installed is NOT leaking! Filled the system with water, everything looks good.
Started the bike up, initially had LOTS of whitish smoke - but gas (1/8 tank) ~10 months old (treated, but still old) - filled up 1/2 tank with fresh gas, all smoke went away, no problems. Let the system build up some pressure, everything OK, turned the system off to see if any pressure related leaks would commence. Everything OK. Bike was running exceptionally smooth - as the guy helping me said (who's rode GW's for ~20 years), that sounds like the day she ran off the assembly line.

Waited until engine was cool, drained the water, replaced with coolant. Started up bike, no smoke out the exhaust - started to run once around the block, made it half way and started to smell coolant and notice steam on the LH side of the bike (referenced from sitting on the bike). Bike had lost about 12mm (1/2 inch) of water out of the reserve.

Directly under the connecting pipe is a bolt with (I think) a washer - I believe it is one of the six 10mm case head bolts. This bolt is (under pressure) seeping coolant. None of the other bolts are leaking, nor any seals, or any part of the coolant system. Definitely not leaking out of the connecting pipe. No oil, only coolant. Reference attached picture with noted leaking bolt.

Haven't done a compression check as yet (darkness requires a halt to the troubleshooting), but the engine sounded fine - not missing, no unusual noise, very smooth.

1) Any ideas as to why this bolt would leak coolant?
2) Possible leaking head at LH top of cylinder head? But if so, why no smoke out the exhaust and no noise?
3) Any ideas as to a fix (assuming it isn't the cylinder head gasket)

Thanks to all in advance - wouldn't have gotten the bike this far without this site.

Attachments

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

I hate to say this, but it looks like the head gasket is leaking out towards the bolt, that's why there is no smoke becaseit isn't leakinginto the cylinder.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Are you sure it's coming from that bolt and not the cross over tubes or thermostat housing? Looking at the drawing that bolt looks like the one of the bolts that hold the case together. If so there's nothing inside that where there is any coolant.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Absolutely sure it isn't coming from the pipe - if I wait long enough the drip of coolant appears at the bottom and side of the bolt. Seems funny that it is the head gasket, which is outboard from these bolts - they bolt the engine block together.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
imported post

Could it be coming from the coolant cross-over. Bad O-ring in there will seem to come from strange places.
James

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It's very possible that coolant that gets dripped on the joint mating the halves of the case can run along the joint and drip out of the joint and show up on the case boss where the bolt passes through. There is no source of coolant under that bolt head. If you were to remove the bolt no coolant could come out there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.