Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have discovered that my 1982 Goldwing is leaking anti freeze on the floor. It is on the side stand and the leak is at the bottom of the radiator on the left side; at least that is where the leak appears to be. I was talking to a mechanic and he told me that it may be a bad water pump? was told that is not a good thing, may be expensive. Does any one know how i can tell if it is the water pump or the radiator? thanks dave

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
imported post

Get under the bike and wipe the weep hole area clean (it's under the housing for the lower radiator hose, engine end). when you see it drip, take a look and see if its coming out of the weep hole.

If the leak appears after running the bike and it stops, I'm betting its coming out of the weep hole. If doesn't stop dripping, then maybe it is the radiator.

weep hole means water pump time. If you do the work, its not that expensive, if the shop does it, different story. You CAN do it, plenty of info on it here.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

If you look in the tech forum, for a thread I started called water pump sources I list the honda part number for the pump. I believe the 1200 and the 1100 use the same pump. I ordered mine from service honda for $118 plus shipping. The gasket kit was another $26 on ebay.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
imported post

ditto on the above...first time it'll take awhile, but the pump & gasket/o-rings might have run me 150$-ish I think.

(add another 20$ for the celebratory case of beer on job completion :) )

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,272 Posts
imported post

Hi Dave,

The way you're describing it. That's the low side of the radiator.

To me that indicates the radiator, or a coupling to the radiator, or a radiator cap is causing the leak. The weep hole on the water pump is below the radiator and unless you're in one of those vortex things, water doesn't run up hill.

Most likely, it's not serious or it would be spewing instead of dripping. Anyway, it could be as simple as the overflow hose so don't start tearing the motor apart until you have explored all the possibilities.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Thanks to all of you for the info... *smile* dave

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

i took a look and had it running today, No water comes from the weep hole, what drops on the floor comes from the bottom of the radiator on the left side. Even now that it is on the center stand, the water/antifreeze still appears to be from the bottom of the radiator... I think that is better than the water pump... at least i hope so...

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,272 Posts
imported post

Dave44142 wrote:
the water/antifreeze still appears to be from the bottom of the radiator...
Key word here is appears. My radiator was showing a leak at the bottom too and it was a bad cap. The highest point in the system. Think Reaganomics and the "trickle-down" principal. It actually works here.

Unless you dropped a screw between the screen and the radiator, or took a huge rock hit, chances are the radiator itself is fine. Remaining suspects are; the cap, the overflow tube or the upper hose.

If it's been a while, this may be a good time to replace all three and the lower hose too.

Happy hunting.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
imported post

Just had the same problem myself. A small puddle on the floor coming from the bottom left corner of the radiator as your sitting on the bike!!!! the overflow hose at the fill neck had a small split on the bottom of the hosethat was the problem.

Just happens we have a radiator repair shop so it was a free fix.:) New Hose & NEW HOSE CLAMP and the ol girl is good as new.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

thanks again, i really appreciate the help....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.