Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:( I have a 1980 gl1100 standard with a police engine on it. When running right this thing really flys. I now have a streaming gas leak on to the top of the crank case. Friday I rode it about 150 miles and at one point it started to sputter like it was running out of gas. I put gas in it and it still puttered under acceleration for a while, not too long, then cleared itself up. Ididn't run it yesterday. Today I was putting a really loud horn and new clutch cable on it and I notice that when my 22 month old daughter was turning the throttle it started leaking badly. Can't quite find the starting point for the leak. Also the engine won't turn over. Almost burned up a starter trying to do that. Could the cylinders be full of gas?? If so, should I pull the plugs and try to spin the engine to get the excess out?????? I can rebuild inline carbs blindfolded but have never tried these before. Someone please help, this is my primary mode of transportation.

Thanks, larry from La Marque, TX

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

jumpmaster wrote:
:( I have a 1980 gl1100 standard with a police engine on it. When running right this thing really flys. I now have a streaming gas leak on to the top of the crank case. Friday I rode it about 150 miles and at one point it started to sputter like it was running out of gas. I put gas in it and it still puttered under acceleration for a while, not too long, then cleared itself up. Ididn't run it yesterday. Today I was putting a really loud horn and new clutch cable on it and I notice that when my 22 month old daughter was turning the throttle it started leaking badly. Can't quite find the starting point for the leak. Also the engine won't turn over. Almost burned up a starter trying to do that. Could the cylinders be full of gas?? If so, should I pull the plugs and try to spin the engine to get the excess out?????? I can rebuild inline carbs blindfolded but have never tried these before. Someone please help, this is my primary mode of transportation.

Thanks, larry from La Marque, TX
:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet, jumpmaster!:waving::waving:

I don't quite know what a police engine is in a Goldwing. I've seen a couple Wings in Police service but they were stock. I'd pull the plugs and try to spin the engine over with the kill switch off. If raw gas comes out of a cylinder it would be a very good idea not to try starting the engine again until you have the leak fixed and the oil and filter changed. It's likely if there's gas in the cylinders there's gas in the oil and I don't think you want to have a big bang happen. Even if there's not enough oil dilution from gas to burn, it will have a bad effect on lubrication.

As for the leak, if it was running just before your problem began, it might be something simple like a stuck float, cracked fuel line or O-ring giving up. Search for the highest point on the engine where there's fuel since the stuff runs mostly downhill. I think you'll have to chase down the source a bit closer before any of us can do much of an attempted diagnosis via computer. Give all the carbs a sharp rap with a screwdriver handle just in case it'sa hung float valve.

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

this happened to me as well Turned out to be the connecting tubes between the carbs had an o ring that blew out and started leaking

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I finally gather up the guts to pull the carbs and remove the float bowls. It seems that the last idiot that worked on them didn't rebuild them like he said and charged me for. When I started looking at the floats, I noticed that one of them was missing the wire that connects the float to the plunger and that one of the towers that holds the pin for the float had broken off inside the bowl. I have not abused this bike because I want it to last. I took the carbs back to the shop who worked on them last and showed them what I found and the owner was asstonished,(spelling doesn't count). Said he would have them fixed by the next after noon. For free. I am not paying for it.

I appriciate the reply's and advice from all. larry

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Sure hope they do a better job the second time!

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

thanks, me too. otherwise they will be paying the dealership to do it right.

larry

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

Larry, if one of the float pivot pin pinions (towers, you call them) is broken, the shop will have to replace that carb. Those pinions are cast aluminum, and i wouldn't rely on a repair job, as any debris that might erode will get in your carb passages.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

You, my friend, speak great truths. I just sold a set of parts carbs on ebay which kind of bites. I hope they fix it the right way.

thanks, larry

ps. nekkid your 1000 looks identical to my 1100. will have a pic soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.