Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Is it possible for the clutch slave cylinder to leak slightly internally in the engine? I bled my clutch last summer when it started to get soft. This year it started to get soft again,especially when hot out and creeping along in traffic. It would get better after rolling again. So I went to bleed it again last night and the fluid level in the master cyl. was quite low. I don't know where it went. I keep a keen eye on this bike, it def did not leak out the top and there are no other obvious leaks. Can it leak internally or does it have a dribble hole like the water pump? Any ideas? Thanks. GK

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

gkiesel wrote:
Is it possible for the clutch slave cylinder to leak slightly internally in the engine? I bled my clutch last summer when it started to get soft. This year it started to get soft again,especially when hot out and creeping along in traffic. It would get better after rolling again. So I went to bleed it again last night and the fluid level in the master cyl. was quite low. I don't know where it went. I keep a keen eye on this bike, it def did not leak out the top and there are no other obvious leaks. Can it leak internally or does it have a dribble hole like the water pump? Any ideas?
GK, it's possible it could leak internally as there is access to the inside at the push rod. It's also possible to have a slight external leak & not see much as the fluid is easily evaporated off but it should still leave a small oily trace. Look closely at the lower bleed screw as that could leak & not leave a trace on the bike.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks Twisty will Do. George

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

When they do leak, it's usually into the back of the engine. The only seal (apart from the hose connection) is on the inside. I had a leak like this and I couldn't get the slave cylinder to clear the engine as it hit the frame, so I ended up having to pull the engine forward about an inch or so.

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Brian, i'll try to keep an eye on it. Don't like hearing about moving the motor though. ouch. Staying pretty good now that I bled it. I'll keep an eye on the fluid level. Thanks.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Mr.1200 wrote:
You don't have to move the engine to get the Slave cyl off the 1200's.Loosen the Brake line Banjo nut,then remove the three bolts,and you'll have it in your hand...
They must be all different. I did an 84 slave cylinder once and there just wasn't enough space to pull the SC when the bolts were removed and I had to move the engine as well. The workshop manuals all say you can remove the slave without mentioning moving the engine but on that 84 it was impossible. I wonder if there are different sizedslave cylinders fitted, or if the 84 with the pulse generators on the back has a thicker cover?

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

the 84 pulse generator fits on the back of the alternator, whereas the later 1200's it is up front, so yes there is more room on the later bikes

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Well Looking on goldwinginfo.com they list a diff part # for the 84 clutch cover than for the 85 and later ones. Here's hoping the slave's not leaking. If I have to add smal amounts of fluid and bleed it from time to time, It sure beats movin the engine. As far as I'm concerned that motor is only goin to be moved to fix a stator. At that time I'll replace any thing else that is a bear with the engine in.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Mr.1200 wrote:
They must be all different. I did an 84 slave cylinder once and there just wasn't enough space to pull the SC when the bolts were removed and I had to move the engine as well. The workshop manuals all say you can remove the slave without mentioning moving the engine but on that 84 it was impossible. I wonder if there are different sizedslave cylinders fitted, or if the 84 with the pulse generators on the back has a thicker cover?
Just pulled mine on my '84 Interstate, laying on my side, bike on center stand - it's definitely tight but do-able without moving engine. Not looking forward to the reinstall as I may have to compress the slave cylinder in the bore while tightening tiny little 8mm bolts and centering pushrod into slave cylinder. Hopefully this will go nice and easy. I am 5'11 with average size hands - I would feel sorry for a guy with big hands!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.