Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I know I'm missing something but I can't stop brake fluid from leakingout ofthe master cylinder at the gasket and the cover. I've cleaned the master cylinder top edge, replaced the gasket, cleaned the cover with no luck. I've put gasket sealer in the groves on thecover and it still leaks.I think there is supposed to be another piece that goes between the gasket and the cover but I can't find one and my leak continues.This leak is just from road bumps etc., as I rarely use the front brake and I still have fluid leaking. With all the pro's out there I know there's a fix, I'm just missing something. By the way the clutch side doesn't leak and it's set up the same way???????Thanks

:?

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

Are you sure it's leaking from the top and not the bottom of the reservoir? The o ring under there seems to leak sometimes. Take it all apart, replace the o ring, inspect the reservoir for cracks... You might be able to get a kit on ebay or ??

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Are you over filling it? If it's too full the fluid leaks out of the tiny relief cutout in the cap.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks guys for the input, it's definately leaking from the top cover and I now actually run the level as low as I can trying to help. I think that my next move should be to replace the top cover, in 27 years it is perhaps out of shape, just thought of that,and not seated flat like it should????? It leaks a lot of fluid, runs down the side of the reserviour and drips on the valve cover. I noticed yesterday three small spots where the brake fluid got on theNEW paint on the rear fender, guess the wind blew it, if you heard thunder in South Texas it was me!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Winesap, my 1100 doesn't have a gasket as such. What it, is a piece of rubber that covers the whole opening and expands downward to fill the gapas the pads wear and the fluid level drops. If my description doesn't work for you, go pull the cover off the master cylinder of a car, and they all have the same thing.

I cannot find my parts list for 1200's but the early 1100's had the rubber seal I am talking about in addition to a gasket. I suspect that it would leak from slosh without the rubber seal in place.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

My 1985 LTD has a large rubber diaphragm that goes down into the fluid. I have never seen any master cylinder, bike or car, that did not have this. It looks kind of like a rubber cup, but also serves as a seal between the cover and the cylinder body.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Yep that be it. Part #19 DIAPHRAGM 45520-MA5-672 $10.98

So how is Western Honda to deal with? Other than North Valley, they seem to be the only Honda dealer in the valley that is not associated with Ride Now (ripoff now) or Apache. They have been in that same location for a LONG time.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,571 Posts
imported post

Western seems pretty good. I use them exclusively for parts now. Order on the computer and pick the parts up at the store.
They have actually had the occasional GL12 part in stock, too.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Dead Lakes Cruiser wrote:
funny thing is mine started leaking yesterday and it appears to be leaking out of the sight glass

There is a post on that somewhere in the past 1-2 years.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.