Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Goldwing GL1500a Trike
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out to try and look at my rear shocks for my other issue on my 1991 GL1500A Trike, and there was a puddle on the right side of the front wheel.

My question is, How hard of a job is it to change the front brake cables and then bleed the brakes? Is this something I need to take to the shop 3 hours away or can I do it myself?

I took off the rotor cover on the right side and wiped it down, and the leak seems to be coming from one of my cables, as the drip is dropping from the banjo bolt. I can see that one of the brake lines has been replaced with a braided stainless line and the other one is still a rubber line.
IMG_0861.jpg
IMG_0862.jpg

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,951 Posts
Have you tried just tightening that nut?
Is that the OEM set up? It doesn't look like something Honda would do. Maybe it's from the conversion people.

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts
The OEM configuration was "only one brake hose" connected to the right front brake caliper.

Looks like a modification was done during the Trike conversion (possibly at another time).

You have three sealing washers involved, might possibly need new washers and make sure the bolt is properly torqued.

I would start there..............!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you tried just tightening that nut?
Is that the OEM set up? It doesn't look like something Honda would do. Maybe it's from the conversion people.
Bolt is plenty tight. cleaned it all up on Sunday evening, now it is about a 3 inch puddle of brake fluid. It has been about 2.5 weeks since I have ridden anywhere due to the weather.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The OEM configuration was "only one brake hose" connected to the right front brake caliper.

Looks like a modification was done during the Trike conversion (possibly at another time).

You have three sealing washers involved, might possibly need new washers and make sure the bolt is properly torqued.

I would start there..............!!
Sorry to ask what may seem like an obvious question. The three sealing washers, are they on the one bolt?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In that case, would you be able to verify that this is the right part number?
Manufacturer
Brand New, Genuine Honda Part
Manufacturer Part#
90545-300-000
Item Number
OEM100193
This Part Replaces
90545-MC0-000

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I verified the part number and have ordered the parts. Most expensive washers I have ever bought, but if it takes care of the issue they are worth it. With S/H cost me $25.00 for 5 washers, only because that was the minimum that you were allowed to buy.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,951 Posts
Yeah, you probably could have gone to your local dealer and gotten them for 3 bucks each, but. Keep the other 2 as spares and mark them. The compression fit is important and they fit any brake or clutch connection on the bike.

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
646 Posts
Be sure it isn't fork fluid before you use those new spendy washers.

Reactions: markgreen1969

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
I took off the rotor cover on the right side and wiped it down, and the leak seems to be coming from one of my cables, as the drip is dropping from the banjo bolt. I can see that one of the brake lines has been replaced with a braided stainless line and the other one is still a rubber line.
That's a mod made by the trike conversion shop. It is the same as in mine which is a Champion Trike.
According to manual, it's changed from OEM linked brakes to normal, where your foot pedal acts over the rear wheels and hand lever does both front disks.
Mario

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500 Asp and 2017 GL1800 4AC
324 Posts
That's a mod made by the trike conversion shop. It is the same as in mine which is a Champion Trike.
According to manual, it's changed from OEM linked brakes to normal, where your foot pedal acts over the rear wheels and hand lever does both front disks.
Mario
That is what I was thinking as I looked at the hoses. That braided hose more than likely goes over tot he left brake caliper.

As tamathumper has stated, make sure it is brake fluid and not fork fluid. As I look at the pictures I see dirty, oily residue on the fork tube. Brake fluid would not migrate upwards on the tube from the caliper but fork oil could migrate down to the caliper and lines.

Reactions: markgreen1969

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Tamathumper and briese. Although there may be a fork fluid issue and I do no know it yet, the reservoir level on the front brake master cylinder is going down, so I am sure it is brake fluid.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, you probably could have gone to your local dealer and gotten them for 3 bucks each, but. Keep the other 2 as spares and mark them. The compression fit is important and they fit any brake or clutch connection on the bike.
Unfortunately I tried that. The dealers in Memphis and Olive Branch, MS are worthless when it comes to anything for a 1500. I have had my trike for a little over 4 years now. They replaced my starter when I first got the trike for me, then announced that they will no longer touch anything older than 2001. That is why I have to go to a dealer 3 hours away when I need any major work done. They told me that they would have to order them and it would be 2 weeks, I should have them by Monday from ordering online.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,951 Posts
That's weird. Those washers are used on dozens of Honda machines. Seems like, since they should be replaced any time a banjo seal is broken, that the service department would require new one be in stock at all times.

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500 Asp and 2017 GL1800 4AC
324 Posts
Thanks Tamathumper and briese. Although there may be a fork fluid issue and I do no know it yet, the reservoir level on the front brake master cylinder is going down, so I am sure it is brake fluid.
That is certainly a sign of a brake fluid leak then. Looks like you are on the right track.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I would recommend cleaning everything off with brakekleen and then squeeze the brake lever and see where the leak is, from the pictures you posted it seems higher than the caliper. If this doesn't work clean and dry the area and put baby powder, corn starch or flour over the area and the leak will appear.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would recommend cleaning everything off with brakekleen and then squeeze the brake lever and see where the leak is, from the pictures you posted it seems higher than the caliper. If this doesn't work clean and dry the area and put baby powder, corn starch or flour over the area and the leak will appear.
Thanks Road Ranger, I will give that a shot. I ordered the parts anyway, as I will probably need them eventually no matter what.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts