Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Front master cylinder leaking around site glass!!

I first thought it was the diaphragm that was causing the leak but still had the problem after replacing it, so took a closer look and it is leaking around the site glass. Looked at Honda’s parts list but it doesn’t show a replacement part for the site glass. Any suggestions on how to fix the leak?

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

I have seen other members mention that a dime epoxy'd or JB welded in will do the trick.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Is there a sealant that can stand up to the brake fluid that could be used to seal around the inside edges that could fix the problem without blocking off the whole site glass?

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
imported post

This is a common failure. Honda does not sell the sight glass. Some people use a dime and JB Weld to seal the hole. Remove the master cylinder, clean, pull out the old brittle plastic "glass"and a couple of metal rings.. After pushing the dime into place to plug the hole, you can either leave it visible, or cover with an extra dab of jb weld, sand and paint over. Some people have found a tiny watch crystal that was the exact size needed and super glued it in place. Use the search to find more details. I never could find a crystal locally. You need to find an old time watch and clock repair shop, and unfortunately they have almost all disappeared. Good Luck

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for the information on the site glass replacement, that is the way to go, have you tried it, and can it be done while still on the bike, sometimes it requires a press to get those tight fitting idems into place.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

you can tip it up and sterilize it and pour a puddle of super glue around the seam...also you can strip it..cleanit it better and do the same...worked for me...when i absently minded blew one out while bleeding the fr brakes

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
imported post

Here is a picture of an 84 1200 front brake site window that was repaired with JB Weld. The glass was not removed. simply faced it upwards ,cleaned the surface up real good with alcohol and flowed in the JB Weld. Used a flat piece of plastic to smooth/ dress it up and that was it. Does not leak. This one was not painted but it can be. Obviously seeing the fluid level is not possible any more but it only takes a second to remove the top and have a look.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
imported post

My 83A was leaking the same way found a master off 1500 for $15.00 off ebay problem solved:waving:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Some of the old video cameras have glass lenses that size or close enough. I would still clean and JB Weld the edges but I prefer to be able to see the level through the window, personally.

Hobby shops and science supply sources should also have something suitable. You won't have to worry about a glass lens going bad.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Both my clutch and brake master cylinders had this problem. There was nothing to leave in place. The "plastic" just turned to dust and crumbled. I took everything apart, removed what was left of the sight glasses (or plastics), put a piece of foil tape over the hole inside the cylinders, then filled it in with JB Weld from outside. After sitting overnight, I removed the tape, did some finish work on it with a Dremel, and put everything back together. That was a few months ago, and it is still holding fine. Probably a lot stronger than the "plastic" sight "window" I have no need to see the fluid levels.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.